Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Voluntaryist Reader

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert Posted: Wed, Nov 21 2012 10:04 AM

So it's up and running.  Last to join, first to post, and I'll post this as well.  I think this blog will be of a different flavor than LRC or the Mises posts, but it's been some time that I've read either of the two.  Content and style will be different, I believe from those posting on this forum have sharpened their writing skills and in time will develop their own writing style.  In time VR won't be lumped in with other "libertarian" oriented blogs (what I mean by this is the type of content coming from libertarians that you yourself finds a bit...unappealing).  I won't go as far to say "this blog isn't libertarian, it's voluntaryist!" but it's not like we have theocrats writing ironic articles about the state.

There's already a variety of posts (who'd expect to see something about Viet Cong or Spanish silver?) and more to come.  I already have a handful of ideas to go on and already just finished my second post (it's ready to go, but I'm holding back for 2 weeks - don't want to run myself out of things to post).  Even though at the moment we have 4 posts I'd expect to see the others make theirs in the coming week, and just think we have 15 new posts every 1-2 weeks, which in time will balance out to about a post a day (more or less).

Right now I'd like to see a lot of creativity, maybe in time some "compilation posts" where we have all the "go to" resources for all the dead horse topics (abortion, citizens own nuclear weapons, etc.), but just like the market there's a lot of variety and you can't predict what will happen next.

Also, in time (if this picks up and actually goes well) maybe we can pay that $18 a year for our own domain name and make our way to the top as "best libertarian blog of the year" or something.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:41 AM

Ah damn it Bert! I was going to make this thread in a few days!

I'm very excited about this blog, and I would really recommend it to anyone. I think that you're going to see a lot of good content from our writers, and indeed we're off to a good start. I do wish that we would get a more dedicated editing team (I have two articles currently awaiting feedback) but I do think that this could be a very informative blog.

I also think that feedback on both writing and style at this early juncture could be very valuable to all of us authors on the blog.

Anyway, read VR, it's awesome, it's gonna become awesomer

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:50 AM

Bookmarked. Good luck!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:04 AM

Neodoxy I think it's easier to get editorial feedback in the MCB than the VR posting section.  I feel when trying to get comments in the actual post just makes it messy.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 10:16 AM

It looks like this blog could be really good. I've added it to my Google reader.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

As one of the contributors, I ask all the visitors - please comment, any kind of input is very valuable right now, while we are still searching for our format - including negative input :)

It helps to understand where to direct the efforts, as many authors have multiple ideas on their backburners - please help us to pick the correct dish and season it to taste :)

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 10:27 PM

Did you have to call it voluntarYist_reader?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 461
Points 8,685

Did he have to include the word voluntar(y)ist at all? True libertarians don't believe all interaction should be "voluntary."  Criminals should be punished without voluntary consent to punishment, for example.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:01 PM

RothbardsDisciple:

Did he have to include the word voluntar(y)ist at all? True libertarians don't believe all interaction should be "voluntary."  Criminals should be punished without voluntary consent to punishment, for example.

Criminals have initiated non-voluntary interaction (aggression). The idea that all interaction should be voluntary is part of the justification for use of defensive coercion to punish the initiation of coercion known as aggression.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:02 PM

@Jargon, the name still trips me up, between voluntarist and voluntaryist, while I feel voluntarist rolls off the tongue better.

@RothbardsDisciple, .....

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 461
Points 8,685

@Anenome: That doesn't change the fact that retaliative force is involuntary by any definition.

I am a non-aggressionist, not a voluntarist. Also, voluntarists have historically been anti-political. I am a political anarchist.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:44 PM

So you suggest that true voluntarism would necessitate radical pacifism. I've certainly heard that argument made.

Suppose however that people lived in a region which one could only step foot into by agreeing to rules of conduct and resulting punishments for transgression. Basically  a true social contract.

Would you still suggest that punishment is non-voluntary?

I know we don't have anything like that in present society, but I'm asking as if we had a libertarian region to ourselves in which there could be explicit agreement like I suggest.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 461
Points 8,685

I believe that such a contract would be offensive to natural law. Involuntary force against criminals (like government) is objectively moral, not requiring a contract. By simply existing as a human, you involuntarily must not use aggression in a true anarcho-capitalist society.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:05 AM

Voluntaryism is just the belief that all forms of human association should be voluntary. There is nothing in voluntaryism that prevents criminals from being punished. Voluntaryism is not pacifism. Don't forget estoppel. If an individual chooses to violate another's rights, then he can't cry foul when that same person responds in kind. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:32 AM

I like the Y in voluntarYism because it places an especially harsh emphasis on the entire word "voluntary."

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 461
Points 8,685

Except, gotlucky, punishing criminals isn't voluntary. Contradicts your first statement.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 1:08 AM

I don't see how. Just because I prefer social cooperation doesn't mean I won't respond with conflict should someone else initiate.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 1:10 AM

gotlucky:

Voluntaryism is just the belief that all forms of human association should be voluntary. There is nothing in voluntaryism that prevents criminals from being punished. Voluntaryism is not pacifism. Don't forget estoppel. If an individual chooses to violate another's rights, then he can't cry foul when that same person responds in kind.

Yeah, agreed.

Wheylous:

I like the Y in voluntarYism because it places an especially harsh emphasis on the entire word "voluntary."

I used to prefer the 'y' version, but lately, just for aesthetic and pronounciation reasons, have been using 'voluntarism.' It also follows the general rule for words that end in 'y' preceded by a consonant, such as:

puppy - puppies
army - armies
supply - supplies
sky - skies
party - parties
library - libraries
rely - relies
marry - marries 
theory - theories
study - studies
apply - applies

Similarly, when you add a suffic to a word that ends in 'y' it usually is turned into an 'i':

happy - happiness
beauty - beautiful
busy - business
mystery - mysterious
luxury - luxurious
fancy - fanciful
envy - envious
mercy - merciless
ordinary - ordinarily
vary - variance
apply - appliance

The only exceptions seem to be some verbs, which do not drop the 'y,' and 'voluntary' is certainly not a verb like these:

study - studying
hurry - hurrying
relay - relaying
pray - praying
portray - portraying
apply - applying

So, for all those reasons, I drop the 'y' and people will naturally understand that the root is 'voluntary' since this kind of change is so very common in english.

The again, when adding 'ism' there's precedent for not dropping the 'y', so it's truly abritrary at this point.

entryism

Then again, that word would be destroyed by dropping the 'y' so maybe not :P

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 1:22 AM

Wheylous:

This is why AnCaps only exist on the internet! Voluntaryism is practically unpronounceable!

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:53 AM

@RothbardsDisciple, how do you believe voluntarism contradicts anarcho-capitalism/libertarianism when it's the same thing (NAP, voluntary association, free from coercion), only a matter of semantics and approach, yet you believe monarchism is capatible with anarchism?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

I'm not bad at editing. Maybe I can help?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 2:26 PM

I'm not bad at editing. Maybe I can help?

Maybe you can indeed! Hop over to mcb.boards.net and create an account, and after someone grants you privileges you can start right there. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

There's been quite a few new articles published over the last week, and we've been getting a bit of attention.  If anyone feels like posting something, don't be shy, we'd love to have you on board.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I posted 1 article on prices.

Ive got an idea for public education article.

And telling about it in india.

The rsa animate vid and the ted talks vid are things ill post on it as references to the article.

Still working on it.

Im a slow writer.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:59 AM

My first submission:

Dear Egypt: Constitutions Are Not Magic

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:18 AM

Anenome can you put the "Continue Reading" link in your post?  It'll shorten it in the main page so everything seems more streamlined.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:32 PM

Sure... I thought the page did that automatically.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:59 PM

No, but I already did it (was "fixing" some things on some posts).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:04 PM

Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:31 AM

Let's see if we can build some momentum. Please rate, comment and share as many articles as you can.

A regular stream of small contributions is preferable to a slow trickle of feature pieces. I'm not discouraging anyone from writing lengthy pieces, of course, but if you have something brief to say in the interim, don't be afraid to get it posted.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

We're moving along quite nicely.  Check out this weekend's articles. http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS