Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why Do We Lie to Our Kids About So Many Things? (Santa, Etc)

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Wed, Nov 21 2012 7:03 PM

Santa, tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, Elf on the Shelf, etc.

It feels wrong.  I don't like doing it.  Is it just no big deal?  Should I not worry about it?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 7:06 PM

It's good training for the real world where they will continue to be lied to about so many things (good government, etc.)

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 8:17 PM

No, I think this sort of thing should stop, tbh.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:22 PM

All those things are real.  I don't know what you're talking about.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

I don't know if it is (a big deal), but I probably won't tell my kids lies just for the fuck of it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

It's good fun when you're young, I really don't see the big deal.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 2:00 AM

because god wants us to.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 461
Points 8,685

I agree with SM on this one, not sure what's the big deal?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100
MadMiser replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:26 AM

Kids aren't stupid; they understand make-believe. Knowing that they aren't real doesn't prevent them from enjoying and having their lives enriched by the likes of Spiderman and Barbie, so why trick them into believing things like Santa are real? Once they know how to read, the ideal thing would be to suggest them to Google it or research it in a book of some kind. Let them know the pleasure of knowing something their peers potentially don't, knowing something they discovered by their own effort; surely this would be a better way to raise critical thinkers than just lying to them about some crap to make them 'feel good'. Lead by example; if they see you acting under the notion of ignorance as bliss, ignorance above truth, whatever, then they'll be more likely to follow that notion themselves.

Furthermore, Santa Clause embodies an inherently statist ethic: financially rewarding people for compliance to some arbitrarily determined notions of 'good' or 'bad' that ar completely removed from any connection to the satisfaction of consumer preferences, much as the Government does. If it's okay for Santa to materially reward a kid for keeping their room tidy, why isn't it okay for the Governent to reward enterprise X for 'buying local'? If Santa can conjure presents out of thin air without facing any constraint of scarcity, why can't the Government do the same with welfare payments?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS