Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What are the pros and cons of credit unions?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 290
The One Freeman posted on Sun, Nov 25 2012 4:24 PM

In a recent debate with a mutualist, we've been discussing credit unions and interest rates as "theft" in general.

He believes that charging interest on loans is theft, except for simple transaction costs. In his mind, credit unions can then push down interst charged on loans dramatically, almost to zero, but would still be able to give competative interest rates to its depositers because it's not for profit.

I was obviously skeptical of someone being able to offer near 0% interest on loans with competative, but he directed me to his credit union's site, https://www.becu.org/, and sure enough they offer their interest rates at a pretty good level.

As their page shows, he obvious exagerated the "near 0%", but it is interesting to see them offer a much higher interest rate to depositors than someone else, say, JPMorgan Chase.

So my question is, are credit unions really better than for-profit investors in every way?

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
639 Posts
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 4:47 PM

credit unions have interest rates, so if he thinks that is theft he has a proplem with credit unions

interest is simply payment for oppurtunity costs. people pay it on when receiving a loan and get it when giving a loan or when saving.

how is the credit union work if it pays more or eaqual for savings than it receives for loans? the fees would have to be huge i think

i think what is better depends on each persons personal taste and position.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

He believes that charging interest on loans is theft, except for simple transaction costs

This is quasi-religious nonsense. In the current environment, where banks have been coopted by the state, I don't think credit unions play by the same rules, so they are able to stick to more conservative lending policies.

The obverse of very low interest rates for loans is even lower interest rates for savings. So what's the saver/lender getting out of it?

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 290

He believes that the credit union is trying its best to eliminate charging interest, but since it needs to cover its costs it has to charge a little bit, and he's just getting any spillover that they have. The reason that it's still competative though even though its basically accidentally incurred is that it's not a for-profit business and it's not going to the "owners" of the bank, since the customers are now the owners.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
639 Posts
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 5:16 PM

the money goes to the owners in either system difference is simply who the owners are.

if people have a voluntary nonprofit bank and make their income elsewhere they could go for cost of operations in prices, but if people have to make a living from working at the credit union costs will be higher.

0 interest  and a fee can be a worse deal than interest and a rebate or no fee.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

What do the consumers get out of it in their capacity as owners?

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 290

I'm a bit confused. How do you mean? What consumers? You mean the people taking out loans to spend?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The individuals offering the loans.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS