Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Alternative Business Cycles

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon posted on Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:12 PM

Has anyone here read any Austrian literature which accepts the notion of or even explores non-monetary causes of the business cycle? I think I remember Mises or Hayek talking about cycles initiated by certain weather patterns or solar flares or something. But Mises is very clear: the Austrian business cycle does not seek to explain every crash in the past, it only explains the inevitable consequence of a certain policy.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

The solar theory comes from Jevons.  But are you talking about entire 'business cycles' or about 'crashes'? 

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:01 PM

I take it you are differentiating businesses cycles from crashes thusly: business cycles start a process which inevitably results in a downturn, whereas a crash can just be the precipitating event which ends a business cycle or causes a downturn generally?

I mean business cycle.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 200 Contributor
452 Posts
Points 7,620

There are "natural" crashes like the Christmas crash.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:21 PM

Rothbard is explicit in his reasoning that what marks the business cylce is the lack of any real cause. If it has a real cause then there's really no need to have a separate "theory" of it in terms of why it would occur in the first place. That is already implied in the rest of economic theory. I might as well bring out a pet theory of mine which is that I'm starting to wonder whether or not ABCT, as it currently stands, just describes a case of the business cycle (talking about "unreal" cases here) and whether or not there aren't other ways that the business cycle could occur with Austrian Theory. For instance I think that the current crisis is much more a case of massive moral hazard than traditional ABCT.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:38 PM

Rothbard is explicit in his reasoning that what marks the business cylce is the lack of any real cause.

I might be misunderstanding, but I find this impossible to believe. I haven't read MES but this is irreconcileable with the Misesian position on the business cycle.

Land & Liberty

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:03 PM

I mean that the business cycle is ultimately caused from the money side which then passes on to the goods side, not the other way around.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:12 PM

Ok yep I was :P. Can you link the exposition thereon?

Land & Liberty

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:52 PM

Ugh, I can't remember exactly where it is. It's somewhere in MES and as I recall there's another mention of it in America's Great Depression. It's straightforward though. If there's a war where a great deal of materials are destroyed, or if there's a great crop blight, or some other obvious reason that AS would decrease, then of course business will recede, output will fall, and unemployment will result. The very reason why we need a theory of what causes a business cycle is that there's nothing like this to point to. It's like great destruction has been wrought out of nowhere. This is what has marked mainstream business cycle theory since Marx: an explanation of why crisis occurs in the absence of any "real" deficiencies or problems in the system itself (unless your talking about RBCT but I don't know much about them)

Something I find very interesting which Rothbard does say in MES which is very revealing about the nature of ABCT is that a sudden shortening of time preferences would cause a crash in business. This is extremely relevant because this would have the brunt  of the same effect as ABCT

Top 500 Contributor
Male
128 Posts
Points 1,855
Zlatko replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:33 AM

Neodoxy:
Something I find very interesting which Rothbard does say in MES which is very revealing about the nature of ABCT is that a sudden shortening of time preferences would cause a crash in business. This is extremely relevant because this would have the brunt  of the same effect as ABCT

Across the board? Wouldn't a sudden shortening of time preferences just cause reallocation of resources from the earlier stages of production to the later ones, preventing a "crash" at least in the later stages?
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

For instance I think that the current crisis is much more a case of massive moral hazard than traditional ABCT.

It is due to a mixture of causes, including credit expansion. Credit expansion provided the fuel for it, but there were a lot of regulatory developments outside of monetary policy that aggravated the crisis and caused the banks to act with wanton recklessness.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Neodoxy,

If you're interested in brief treatments why the recent financial crisis can't really be attributed to moral hazard, I'd like to point you towards two relatively short posts of mine on the subject: "2007–09 Under an Austrian Lens" and "Freddie and the Crisis." The latter is probably the most relevant, as it deals with the supposed role of GSEs in instigating the crisis.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
"Across the board? Wouldn't a sudden shortening of time preferences just cause reallocation of resources from the earlier stages of production to the later ones, preventing a "crash" at least in the later stages?"

I mean when people begin demanding current goods in greater quantities and the interest rate rises. Ultimately ABCT occurs exactly because this happens suddenly. If credit expansion made for a stable decrease in the money supply then ABCT would not happen because it would be just like a natural decrease in the money supply. What happens is that the production structure lengthens, but then once the bust hits and interest rates rise the current production structure is unsustainable. This means that capital good/longer term production industries can't finish the projects which they are currently working on, the entire structure of production needs to change to a point where it is ultimately producing less. This means that unemployment results, payrolls decrease and bust occurs. Blah blah blah.
This doesn't happen if people generally value goods more in the future because then they save/invest more leading to lower interest rates and it's not that current short term processes become unprofitable, quite the opposite they become comparatively more profitable since the minimum amount of money you're paying to fund the process (the interest rate) goes down, and so you'd be willing to pay more for the machine overall. It's not then that this becomes unprofitable per se, but rather that other longer term projects become more profitable and they bid out all of the resources right out from under you... Literally in the case of land :P Thusly in this case resources have a more readily available and more highly valued use which they can be used in, and therefore there's no problem, no collapse, no unemployment. When the interest rate suddenly increases drastically these places only have less valued areas to go and they can only go there after their price decreases.
I'm very happy. This is possibly the strongest case I've ever put forward in terms of ABCT
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS