Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How Do You Do Your Taxes? Itemize or Standard Deductions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:51 AM

My wife and I have always used stadard deductions using someting like turbo tax.

For most families with kids that make under $100,000 and don't own any businesses, is it better to itemize?  Can you keep more of your money that way?  Or is it just better to take the standard deductions?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015
Lady Saiga replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 12:01 PM

Depends what you've got on your taxes.  I'm no accountant, so I like to use a program that will advise me which option will be better; if you're claiming any interest on home loans, school loans, etc., I imagine it'd usually be better to itemize.  Itemizing has been better for me since we bought a house.

I use HR Block's online thingy.  There might be better ones, it's just the program I'm used to.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 12:09 PM

I use Turbo Tax as well. That quesiton can't be answered, of course, without knowing your finances. It's simply a mathematical question. I will say, though, that I have probably missed a few deductions using Turbo Tax that I later realized I could have taken. For instance, writing off an iPad that is used at the hospital, or 1/3 of a cell phone bill if you are on call every 3rd weekend. For me, itemizing has always been better and I don't even own a house.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS