Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Austrian Economics and classical music

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945
grant.w.underwood Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:10 PM

Is there a correlation between AE and classical music?  

Its hard to claim any geographic location has a more illustrious history in music than the viennese music scene.  With composers like mozart, haydn, beethoven, Schubert, schoenberg, and im sure im leaving out other major ones, was there something in Austrian society that allowed the arts to thrive and libertarian thinking?

or do we chalk it up to Menger was an anomaly and the wealthy Austrians just enjoyed music the most so they were willing to pay more than the rest of the world?

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:48 PM

This doesn't seem to me to be a very compelling thesis because it would not account for why it is that Austrian policy was not especially classically liberal, nor why Mises began writing in a period of very anti-liberal sentiment. If AE and classical music were correlated then it should have been an exceedingly popular school within Austria and it should have permeated into public policy and public opinion

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:20 PM

Neodoxy, you assume that classical music is popular in Austria. Is that a priori knowledge? cheeky

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Neodoxy, last time I checked, the most popular genre in Austria was techno.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 47
Points 610
Raoul replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:57 AM

Mises loved classical music. According to Hülsmann, when Mises was in his eighties, he could still be moved to tears by a beautiful opera.

Not a native speaker - you may correct my spelling errors.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:02 PM

Prior to WWI, Vienna had become the "New York" of Europe. It was a center of philosophy, science, art, music, industry, finance. It had long been the musical nexus of Europe... in 1829, for example, the 19-year old Frederic Chopin would debut in Vienna to launch his career as a performer and composer. As you noted already, many of the big names from the classical era - Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Schubert - orbited around Vienna.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS