Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Have you ever violated the NAP?

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
No2statism Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:52 AM

I did several times in my youth (in middle school), mainly property damage.  The worst thing I ever did was when I broke someone's window with their neighbor's basketball and I never paid for it.  I hit someone lightly in middle school too, but that was only because a few friends asked me to and because I really didn't like him until a few years later.  I feel very unlibertarian for those things among a few others, but at least Dr. Paul and others counseled me indirectly.  At least I've been beat up numerous times by two different friends since I deserved it.  The problem is that I seldom gave restitution for the violations I committed.

I realize some of these are personal, but I thought this thread would be good for those who wanted to share (that is if anyone here besides me has even ever violated the NAP).

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 128
Points 1,855
Zlatko replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:09 AM

I did a couple of stupid but non-serious things in my early teens. Stole some candy (yum!) and did some graffiti. I'm more embarrassed about what I wrote rather than that I did it :P. And in my defense, it was on state property :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:09 AM

Nice try, NYPD.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:24 AM

Is accepting known-stolen property a violation? Then I do it every time I turn on the water, or walk onto the street.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:37 AM

I may or may not walk over people's lawns to get where I want to go all the time. I stole a dumpling from a buffet once. I occasionally use someone's property for other reasons without asking them...

I'm a hardened criminal.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,935
h.k. replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:46 AM

Wheylous:

Nice try, NYPD.

Lol.

Yeah I can't come up with anything either.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

That's a shame that someone said I was acting like the NYPD.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I used somebody else's kleenex to wipe my nose before on accident. Wasn't one of my best moments.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Y'all are just too nice for words.  I pinched my sister loads of times growing up, AND defaced her toys. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:42 PM

As an adult I hold shopping carts out car windows going 40+ mph and let them go into medians in the parking lots etc.  Someone warn the Libertarian Police.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:07 PM

"Y'all are just too nice for words.  I pinched my sister loads of times growing up, AND defaced her toys."

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Neodoxy

Man, Anthony Hopkins really needs to polish up his publicity photos.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015
That's me...how'd you guess?
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:05 AM

Well you pretty much straight up admitted to violent and psychopathic tendencies... What was there to guess?

Edit

Oh, and you're on mises.org. That's a major indicator of mental stability. Libertarians are heartless killers.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Not as much as I would like to

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Well, in my defense the property damage was an act of protest against blatant redistribution of wealth on my parents part.  Force me to give up my baby doll to the less privileged will you?  Fine, Nobody will want it by the time I'm done with it!  

My precocious political statement was not appreciated by the PU's as I recall.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Stolen various snacks (mostly items involving dried meat), broken a couple random car windows for no reason other than being 16, defaced a highschool by spraypainting an army of NAMBLA-related stickfigures, thrown firecrackers at cars, teabagged my friends, etc.

Glad we could talk about it and start the healing.

But since I've become a libertarian I haven't done anything to violate the NAP other than a drunken fight or two and the occasional teabagging.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

...Teabagging?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

The playful and timelessly droll act of placing your "bag" in a cup of "tea"--the oral cavity of an acquaintance. It is customary and advisable to only engage in this act with a close comrade so that the two of you can have a hearty chuckle about it after he has obligatorily retaliated in some equally horrible way.

Not Ranked
Posts 88
Points 1,455
idol replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:19 AM

"Teabagging - the insertion of one man's sack into another person's mouth." (Urban Dictionary)

Edit: Willy beat me to it.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

It sounds so crass when you say it like that :(

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 235
Points 5,230
shazam replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutUz-nhBvM

Anarcho-capitalism boogeyman

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:57 AM

I would gladly hit someone for being sufficiently (but only verbally) offensive, a clear breach of the NAP.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS