Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** December 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 141 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 5:02 AM

Thieves rob openly in Peru, even mugging police officers

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=002_1355126218

true anarchy. Shocking.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

tune into CBS  CBS evening news with scott pelley (on right now) - they are doing a segment on what happens when the economy crashes, they goto peru where carrots are used as money.... should be interesting.

*forgive me it is spain and its not exactly what they advertised.  Its not being used as money..

The story goes like this:

Spain's government raised taxes on theater (stage performances) tickets to 21%.  Due to the recession in spain not many people are going and with this increase like noone is going.  So what he started doing is selling carrots.  EXPENSIVE CARROTS, like the price of a play expensive.

$17 for a single carrot and you get a free show! 

haha

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:10 PM

grant.w.underwood:

tune into CBS  CBS evening news with scott pelley (on right now) - they are doing a segment on what happens when the economy crashes, they goto peru where carrots are used as money.... should be interesting.

*forgive me it is spain and its not exactly what they advertised.  Its not being used as money..

The story goes like this:

Spain's government raised taxes on theater (stage performances) tickets to 21%.  Due to the recession in spain not many people are going and with this increase like noone is going.  So what he started doing is selling carrots.  EXPENSIVE CARROTS, like the price of a play expensive.

$17 for a single carrot and you get a free show! 

haha

Yeah, this sort of thing always happens at the breaking point. Black markets are instantly created and everyone's happy. Except the politicians.

There have been landlords who get around rent control laws in a similar way. Sure, the apartment's only $500 a month, but to rent the refrigerator that comes with it and cannot be removed is another $725 a month :P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 6:24 AM

Belafonte’s Advice to Obama: Imprison Opposition “Like a Third World Dictator”

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Congress has the power to regulate the museum and the exhibition of the Hemingway cats.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/hemingway_cat_descendants_are_regulated_by_federal_law_appeals_court_says/

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:31 AM

White House must review petition to build Death Star

We know where our government's allegiance lies.

Over 25,000 people have petitioned the Obama administration calling for them to build a Star Wars-style Death Star by 2016.

The authors of the petition argue that building one would strengthen national defense and create jobs.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:02 PM

Some "art" I made with the help of newspaper archives.

"Listen, Young Ladies"

"It's a Hard World"

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Not Ranked
Posts 88
Points 1,455
idol replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 2:22 AM

Sensitive Jesus

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:58 AM

I just realized that John James uses two spaces after a period.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

That's a dangerous peculiarity. Can be used to de-anonymize him. Then again, he may be imitating this on purpose, to throw the hounds off the track.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 1:16 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 1:17 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

My mother just told me that if I clean up my room, she'll order Anatomy of the State for me off of the Mises Store. I've never been so motivated to do this.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 7:31 PM

Isn't Anatomy of the State the small Rothbard essay?  I'm sure you could read the pdf of it in no time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

It is indeed, however it's five bucks in the store and I'd like to have something solid to hand to people and say "this changed my life" rather than give them some long URL to punch into their address bar (or forget about later).

Plus, I'm not a fan of reading stuff on the computer. I prefer a nice book in my hands.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:12 AM

I personally would not recommend AotS as an intro book to AnCap thinking (at least to most people).

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Robots grow food. At your home.

http://www.clickandgrow.com/

Wheylous is gonna love this :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Wheylous

Why not? It's what sealed the deal for me with anarcho-capitalist thinking. Plus it's a pretty easy, quick read, and pretty radical. When I hand people a copy of The Revolution: A Manifesto, most of the time they just read a few pages and put it down, I guess with the feeling that this is probably going to be another one of those political books written by those dumb Republicans...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:03 AM

Andris - haha, why do you think I would like it?

SM - I'm not sure radical is the way to go. Maybe in some cases, but not always.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Why do you think radical wouldn't be the way to go? What book would you recommend as an introduction to carry around and show to people?

I was thinking earlier about Chodorov's The Rise and Fall of Society, but it's fifteen dollars and isn't that much of a quick read (maybe it is, but not in the style of where you can hand it to people and they can read it in five minutes, which is what I'm looking for).

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Andris - haha, why do you think I would like it?

Because everyone on the internet knows you love robots ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:42 AM

Five minutes ain't going to change someone's entire viewpoint.

I am not sure what book I would recommend (this is one of the reasons I'm working on LibertyHQ). I've heard Hazlitt is pretty good.

Here are my thoughts on the book:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/32386.aspx

I think understanding AotS completely requires a deeper background in libertarian literature. It might be useful for some newer people, but getting the gull punch is a bit tougher.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/world/europe/gerard-depardieu-says-he-is-giving-up-french-citizenship.html?_r=0

Gérard Depardieu, the famous French actor, will be French no more, so exasperated is he with French taxes and the French government, he declared in an angry open letter to France’s prime minister on Sunday.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

This one you can take seriously:

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 1:16 AM

The Three Speeches

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 10:58 AM

Gero - you should really sign up for the LibertyHQ forums! I really value your link collection, and I think you'd make a wonderful addition!

http://libertyhq.freeforums.org

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 6:28 PM

Empereror Obama interrupted television earlier today for some kind of wise words on gun control, or some such garbage. It looked like reporters were asking questions, to see what our sage would say. I flipped through and all three major networks had interrupted their shows for it. It's scary to see these messages to the herds and know that most people will lap it up and be hostile towards any differing opinion. I hear that a local business owner was getting death threats for a dissenting comment on Facebook the day of the recent schooting. Talk about irony.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Blargg

Alert! Citizens, this is Supreme Chairman Obama. It's time for our mental sessions for the day! Yay! Everybody clap your hands! Now repeat after me folks - GUNS CAUSE THE VIOLENCE. GUNS CAUSE THE VIOLENCE. GUNS CAUSE THE VIOLENCE.

Very good, citizens!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@SkepticalMetal

Haha, that's the exact image that entered my mind when I read Blargg's post. This is why I'm so glad to be free of the mainstream media in my home. Gonna have to deal with it next week when I go to my family house though. :(

2 + 2 = 5

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 8:56 PM

My elderly roommate watches TV every waking hour, while I haven't watched it for a decade, and become angry just hearing it. I've avoided hearing even a complete sentence out of the media's mouth on the recent shooting, thankfully.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 4:55 AM

Congress Is Quietly Abandoning the 5th Amendment

Lawmakers charged with merging the House and Senate versions of the National Defense Authorization Act decided on Tuesday to drop a provision that would have explicitly barred the military from holding American citizens and permanent residents in indefinite detention without trial as terrorism suspects, according to Congressional staff members familiar with the negotiations. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 4:59 AM

Can you believe this is on Daily Kos?

Why liberals should love the Second Amendment

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 2:39 PM

Formal Reprimand Issued To Flatulent Federal Worker

After stating that, “It is my belief that you can control this condition,” the author of the reprimand letter then noted, “The following dates show the time of your flatulence.” What followed was a log listing 17 separate dates (and 60 specific times) on which the employee passed gas. For example, the man’s September 19 output included nine instances of flatulence, beginning at 9:45 AM and concluding at 4:30 PM.

The man was also accused of launching a trio of attacks on September 11.

No, this is not The Onion.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0p0irEOls

Trailer for EVE Online's expansion. Don't tell me it doesn't scream anarchy. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

Shooting Deaths and Gun Control, The Critique - Lee Doren vs. TYT

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 1:08 AM

Resume

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:03 AM
http://plenarchist.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/progression-of-political-systems/
Third Generation (acroderanomy) – Emergent violence-based political system sustained through preemptive aggression against those people identified as a potential threat using computer models and vast data warehouses gathered on the people to make pre-crime a reality. Acroderanomy (the extreme machine state) for the technology-enabled deranomy, the impending information-age superstate that wars against humanity. This is likely the final stage of violence-based political systems and presents the greatest threat to humanity given the risk of global devastation from weaponized self-replicating systems (nanobots, synthetic organisms, and intelligent machines) or perhaps geoengineering, population control via genetics-based human culling, or any number of other technology-enabled delusional schemes. The emerging acroderanomy can be found in technocracies such as with the Zeitgeist Movement or the United Nations.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:55 AM
More evidence of monarch programming:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/inmate-claims-james-holmes-confessed-that-he-was-programmed-to-kill/

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Page 3 of 4 (142 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS