Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I NEED HELP! Trying to find a lecture on Mises.org

This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255
CounterIntuition.com Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:50 PM

Hey everybody!

I need help!  I'm looking for a lecture I heard a few months back (though I have no idea when it was recorded) on here.

The guy on the mp3 mentions Beowolf and Romanticism.  That's pretty much all I got. 

I know it's vague but I'd appreciate any leads at all!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Gar

For bite-sized challenges to the status quo, visit Counterintuition.com! http://www.counterintuition.com
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

Bump?   Anybody?

For bite-sized challenges to the status quo, visit Counterintuition.com! http://www.counterintuition.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

I would summon JJ to help you, but I don't think that voodoo will do any good anymore. This is the best my magic could do.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

Thanks Got Lucky!  I found that too.  I thought there might be a link in that article to an mp3, but alas... no joy.

Do tell... who is JJ?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 6:51 PM
John James is Akon's screenname.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Can you remember who wrote it?

JJ had an uncanny ability to navigate the Mises site better than God himself. He hasn't been on the forums for a few months though. 

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

I don't remember any names.  I was tempted to think it was Rothbard being read by Riggenbach but I'm fairly certain it was a live lecture.  Some old sounding guy talking about the conflict between the romantics and the church.  He used Beowolf as an example of a romantic story and how controversial it was at the time because it promoted the idea of earning love by overcoming obstacles rather than the arranged marriages of the monarchies and the church.

That's my hopelessly simplistic version.

I'm trying really hard to remember the voice...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I lit some candles and wrote his name in the skin of a newly-slaughtered pig, so I hope he will come to the rescue, but I must warn you that JJ was specifically great at navigating the forums - I'm not sure about the lectures.

As to who JJ is - it's the abbreviation for John James, one of our top posters here up until a few months ago. He was awesome at finding stuff.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

Bill me for the candles and pig Wheylous.  Your help is much appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Have you tried searching your history?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

I listened to it on my old Samsung Galaxy S - which I traded 10 months ago for the new S2.  If I wasn't such a greedy capitalist, I would still have my old phone, and thus, my old mp3's....

:D

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I like this new guy :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

We can always use some more greedy capitalists!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

:D Thanks chaps!  Think I might hang around the forums more often... you guys are friendly.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

We're not all like that, you naive son of a bitch. 

;)

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

Ha ha!!!  Thanks for the disclaimer.  Count me prepared - I'm officially un-naived. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:08 PM

JJ's reply:

Yeah that's kind of a tough one.  Unless someone just recently listened to that exact same audio, or was at the recording and has a good memory for which event it was, I'm not sure how it would be possible to find it.  The lectures are not transcribed (yet...that would actually be a really good project, like what Tex2002ans is doing with ebooks).  But without any text to search, we'd need something more substantial.

If he could give something more...obviously the speaker would be most valuable...but even just the type of Mises audio (Mises Circle/course lecture/audiobook) or how recent it was would be helpful.  Or the overall subject of the lecture.  That would be useful.  I doubt the whole thing was just about romantics vs. the church.  That must have been an example or tangential aspect of something larger.

If he can't give any of that, even smaller details might help...such as how he downloaded it.

This lecture is actually remarkably close; the backbone of the whole speech is centered around the church and Romanticism.  But the speaker never mentions Beowulf, or any fictional references for that matter, nor does he go into any conflicts between those writers and the church.  In fact, the entire thesis of the talk is in large part how the anti-logic and anti-reason nature or Romanticism influenced the church (Catholic, at least) in a negative way, leading the economics of its officials (and therefore many followers) to be quite flawed...

...to a point of actually lending credence to Roussaeu's "Legislator" ideology, and believing in what Carl Schmitt presented as a Führer Principle, both of which essentially said that society requires a dictator who represents in himself the interests and the thoughts, hopes, and dreams of all of the people, and who has complete say over the law and essentially declares what the "general will" is.  This is how Hitler's votes for his Emergency Powers after the Reichstag fire came largely from the (Catholic) Centre Party.

So I'm not sure what lecture he might be talking about.  My first thought on something like this would be Tom Woods (history and church)...but this guy sounds like he would recognize/remember if it were Woods talking.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:13 PM

Wow, Wheylous has a direct line to God (JJ)... say Hi to him from me sometime.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230

JJ:

Yeah that's kind of a tough one.  Unless someone just recently listened to that exact same audio, or was at the recording and has a good memory for which event it was, I'm not sure how it would be possible to find it.  The lectures are not transcribed (yet...that would actually be a really good project, like what Tex2002ans is doing with ebooks).  But without any text to search, we'd need something more substantial.

I did look into transcribing speeches a few months ago, but my skills are just not well suited towards it at all.   I was thinking it could be something which could be done in the background while working on epubs, but it requires your complete attention. There seems to be two ways of transcribing speeches.

Way 1: Transcription software must be "trained" to fit your voice.  You need to train the software by reading many known words/sentences/paragraphs, in order for the software to figure out all of your speech patterns/inflections. (I believe it was at LEAST a few hours of testing to get very high accuracy, and at ~10 hours will mean extremely accurate)Then you have to listen to a speech, and repeat everything that you hear into a microphone.

The softwares also have special keywords which can be said in order to create enters, punctuation, etc.  It was quite jarring trying to repeat what was said in the speech with keywords "Doctor Period Walter Block apostraphe ess comma mentioned the famous example of the quote Democratic Thieves period quote".

Then comes the proofreading step.  You have to most likely listen through the speech again while following along with the transcription, in order to make sure it is accurate.

Way 2: You have to type everything out manually.  Professional transcribers seem to use some sort of specialized foot pedals, in order to easily skip back in the audio a few seconds, and changing the speed at which the audio is played.  Depending on how fast and accurate you can type, this may take anywhere from 1.5-6x longer than the actual audio clip.  Also, the longer the audio clip is the more "worn out" the transcriber becomes, which is why usually the files are split into a maximum of 10 minute bites.  This allows you to take many breaks in between, as it is very tiresome.  Doing the hour long speeches of Mises................ it definitely takes a very long time.

I had problems with both of these ways, because either the sound of my voice, or the sound of my keyboard, was mixing with the sound of the speech itself, making me miss what was currently being said.  Perhaps I would look into doing this in the way way future, but as of now I believe my skills at epubbing are more important. :)

I WAS/AM tempted to start jotting down notes every time I listen to a speech though.  Things like important points which were said, good sayings/lines/examples, books mentioned, and just writing down the general gist.  I might start this project later this week, as I could see it as a huge help to the community.  Especially because so many times I remember sort of hearing something in one of the speeches, but have no idea where it is.  There is just so much to listen to!

GarBags:
The guy on the mp3 mentions Beowolf and Romanticism.  That's pretty much all I got.

Do you happen to remember if the person speaking had an Irish accent?  I might think this could have been a few Philosophers or English professors speaking at some of the conferences (perhaps an Austrian Scholars Conference).  It definitely sounds like something a non-economist would mention.

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895

Tex2002ans:
I WAS/AM tempted to start jotting down notes every time I listen to a speech though.  Things like important points which were said, good sayings/lines/examples, books mentioned, and just writing down the general gist.  I might start this project later this week, as I could see it as a huge help to the community.  Especially because so many times I remember sort of hearing something in one of the speeches, but have no idea where it is.  There is just so much to listen to!

HAHA!  I do the exact same thing with podcasts.  It's paid off on more than one occasion.  Although, it does kind of limit what you can be doing while listening.  Cuz you know how a lot of people like to listen to podcasts when working out/walking or doing work.  I remember hearing a story from Russ Roberts about a remarkably well-knowledged guy he met, who turned out to be a janitor...who just happened to listen to EconTalk every day while buffing the floors of the office building.

But yeah, my subject notes have definitely come in handy.  It doesn't take much...just a few keywords for every subject discussed, jotted down on the fly as they switch gears.  It's pretty easy, so long as you're listening in front of your computer.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 255

Oh my good word!  It was Tom Woods!  At least, it was a lecture from his Liberty Classroom.  This JJ really does contain all the wisdom of earth.  Is he human?  Has anyone ever been in the same room?  Thank you so much Wheylous!!!  I was baffled as to why I couldn't find it.  Wrong website altogether, what's the matter with me?!!?!?!

I love you guys - you are all my favourite! 

Wheylous, as JJ's oracle, where do I send the cheque in payment for this remarkable service? 

:D

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I carved your thanks in the wood of a thousand-year old tree that almost has sentience.

I await his reply about where to send the money.

In the meantime, my guess is that he probably will have one of his Nigerian agents contact you. If rumor is correct, princes work for him!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

The beans I was cooking today arranged themselves thus on my counter:

:)  No charge on this one.  Happy to help.  I suppose if anyone would like to contribute, they could create an account at the Mises Wiki and see if there's anything they can add there every now and again.  Or sign up at Goodsearch and make the LvMI their cause of choice.  Or even just spread the word of the Meta Thread.  Maybe put it in signatures until I can come around again.  The best thing any of us can do is spread the word and share the message.  Education, one mind at a time...

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS