Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

US road safety: Deaths lowest in more than 60 years. How we got there

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 395
SortOfAmish Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:16 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/us-road-safety-deaths-lowest-more-60-years-225805662.html

"According to NHTSA, traffic fatalities fell to 32,367 in 2011, a 1.9 percent drop over 2010 and the lowest since 1949."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:16 AM

How does fatality-per-mile compare? i.e. people driving less, or driving is safer?

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 395

Not sure.

People may be driving less due to gas prices and the economy being weak. But there's so many factor involved so we're not to sure if driving has become safer?

32,000 deaths a year is far too much. We're talking an estimate of 1,800,000 dead in the past 60 years due to Government managed roads. The state I live in has good intentions to post on all the expressways the amount of deaths that have occured so far this past year. They use it so people will drive safetly. It hasn't really worked. A couple months ago it was 500. 400 people have died since and they still have that digital sign like it's going to help. Not to mention severe injuries and other types of injuries that have happened on Government roads.

I wish there was something that could be done about this. I feel very unsafe driving, but I have no other alternative.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
MarcosP replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:45 PM

On this army base I was stationed at (while I was in the Army) had a great incentive system in place to lower driving fatalities. Every 82 days, if there were no driving fatalities, we would get a 3 day weekend! And if 164 days passed fatal-free, we got a 4 day weekend! They had this electronic sign counting how many days passed without a fatal car accident.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

It's because of the federal government, of course, with all of their safety and crash mandates!

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS