Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is abstraction necessarily a human action?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 320
jpg Posted: Mon, Aug 4 2008 11:44 PM

Is abstraction necessarily purposeful behavior?

Alfred Korzybski (General Semantics) takes the view that the process by which any organism's nervous system produces a sense perception of the "outside world" is abstraction. The abstraction is a neurological consequence of the limiting physiological structure of the organism's sense receptors.

It seems to me that in this sense a radio receiver (not the receiver's designer) abstracts particular frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum, and a planet's atmosphere abstracts part of the energy that impinges on it. Does this concept of abstraction have some accepetance in science and philosophy?

jpg

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Is this an attempted conflation of filtering with abstraction? Abstraction consists in the ommission of irrelevant, particular details to derive a general notion of something (this is so-called non-precisive abstraction.)

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 320
jpg replied on Tue, Aug 5 2008 6:15 PM

Jon,

It looks to me like filtering.

Your definition of abstraction implies choice and purpose. Do you take the position that abstraction is necessarily a human action (by Mises’s definition)?  

I don’t see anything in the physiological process Korzybski describes that could be called abstraction, except by analogy. I don’t see any grounds to say that the details omitted are irrelevant, that they are omitted for a reason, or that the result is a “notion”.

Does an automatic, mechanistic, deterministic abstraction (whether mere filtering or something else) have currency, or is Korzybski pretty much alone in this?  

jpg

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Well it's really straining the definition of the term. Abstraction (to abstract from the particulars/concrete the general/essential) as made use of by humans is for the purpose of cognitive economy - it helps link together a massive number of disparate facts. It is thus a cognitive activity. In the case of the planet or the radio, what cognition is taking place?

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 320
jpg replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 12:11 AM

That’s what I think, too.

Korzybski also calls the assigning of names to objects and properties abstraction, though of a higher order. I don’t see that, either. Naming is not even remotely analogous to abstraction as I understand it.

jpg

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS