Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Reminiscing Thread

This post has 68 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 10:49 PM

According to my profile, i've been posting here for 3 years (mostly lurking). So I can't remember all the high lights. :P

In terms of recent threads I've enjoyed, I really liked Neodoxy's thread about Stimulus and the Broken Window Fallacy. Even though the thread was perpetually derailed, I think a lot of good points were raised. The discussion wound up being timely too, considering Hurricane Sandy happened not long afterward.

I also want to reminisce about a lot of good posters that I don't see post any more. Esuric, Lagrange Multiplier, Stranger, Strange Loop, hayekianxyz, laminustacitus, others. Hopefully they'll find their way over to the new forums.

Either way, this forum has been a lot of fun. I actually learned a lot from many of the people here. I will be sad to see it go. C'est la vie.  

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 8:32 AM

Re: "OMG anyone remember "poster of the month"? I don't remember why that died"

Because it was essentially a circle jerk motion, given to the 'favourites'.. mostly of a certain forum faction? (Saying that as a recipient).

Re: "the KnightofBAWAA if anyone remembers him."

Legend. Great mod before he was ousted/banned when Danny took over and wanted to change the forum dynamic. Would not relent if you were on the wrong side of the argument and continued to try get by the laws of logic.

Reminiscing Thread...

When posts were longer, more considered and less 'chatty'.

When it seemed like everyone had something considerable to add.

When the conversation/discussion was something new... not something that you could simply refer to a past discussion thread (or 100) about.

When these guys were all around; KnightofBawaa, Jon Irenicus, NirgrahamUK, Inquisitor.. the verifiable A-team. yes

Also of note: LibertyStudent, Andrew Cain, Krazy Kaju, E. R. Olovetto, Wilderness, Daniel Muffinburg, Graham Wright, Sage, filc and DD5.

As for AJ, Danny and the rest of the 'consequentialist' crowd... my arguments are far more advanced because of those discussions/criticisms leveled at Rothbard, Hoppe etc. Cheers.

As for thread discussions of amusement/worth, I'll offer two; when mr1001nights came to the forums is one, along with the occasional revleft appearance... and the temp Mises forum excursion over to revleft hahah. laugh

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:20 AM

I've always sympathized with a lot of Clayton's conspiracy theories and to be honest, I've always believed in a lot of them.

My favorite time on the forums was when I helped do a little revisionist history re: the triangle shirtwaist fire.

Farewell Mises Forum and fellow posters -I shall truly miss the "God" debates.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 1:20 PM

David Friedman!

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 1:26 PM

^ True! It is very cool that was he was willing to pop in every so often to discuss his work (though it sucks some people were pretty rude to him). 

I definately hope he finds his way to the new forum.

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

One of my fondest memories is of Liberty Student offering a Mises Store gift voucher to the first two posters who wrote a decent critique of a post by Clayton.  I won one, and no one else wrote a critique, so Clayton got the other one!

My favorite time on the forum was back when the deontologists and consequentialists were going at it.  I was learning so much back then just from lurking and chipping in now and again.

Special thanks to: Liberty Student, ER Olovetto, Andrew Cain, Conza, AJ, nirgrahamUK, Danny Sanchez, Clayton, I. Ryan, Esuric, filc, Sieben, John James, Nielsio, Adam Knott, Autolykos.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:30 PM

Yeah, I bought van Creveld's The Rise and Decline of the State with that gift! That was awesome...

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:38 PM

I'll just say that before I began actively posting here, I was a lurker. Not to take away anything from a lot of people here (because there are many intelligent people who post here) but I found myself really paying attention to a lot of the things that Liberty Student would post. This guy clearly had a set of principles that he would not budge on and I respect him for that, especially since those principles are things that I try to live by myself. I'll take the time now, since it's a golden opportunity, to thank him for his contributions to this forum, whether he still reads the posts here or not. Thanks dude. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:54 PM

Not to take away anything from a lot of people here (because there are many intelligent people who post here) but I found myself really paying attention to a lot of the things that Liberty Student would post. This guy clearly had a set of principles that he would not budge on and I respect him for that, especially since those principles are things that I try to live by myself.

Funny you should say that because LStudent went from being a self-proclaimed Rockwellian (which I thought was very clever) to something far more squishy and ill-defined. IIRC by the end he wasn't even a natural rights guy anymore. So clearly there were some principles he moved away from.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 12:38 AM

Does anyone remember Democracy for Breakfast?

I don't remember too much about him, but the basic narrative that I remember was that he came here around the same time I did and he went down the whole beginner's track to learning about AE and Libertarianism and he mostly seemed to agree with the views generally held around here even though he was a n00b.

Then I remember him changing his username to Novus Zarathustra and a lot of his material just got odd and rather intelligent. I always thought that was weird, but I might not be recounting the series of events quite properly.

I also enjoyed Sieben's/Snowflake's contributions, even if he was recently banned. He showed up about the time that I did as well.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 12:47 AM

I don't remember that Neodoxy, but I do remember you recently claiming that you started here with a noob account and then later opened your Neodoxy account becuase you didn't like some of the things your noob account had posted. This is all adding up now.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:18 PM

Marko:
Funny you should say that because LStudent went from being a self-proclaimed Rockwellian (which I thought was very clever) to something far more squishy and ill-defined. IIRC by the end he wasn't even a natural rights guy anymore. So clearly there were some principles he moved away from.

This may or may not be true; but from what I can remember, he was pretty strong on his principles and I don't remember seeing any contradiction.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:19 PM

BTW - Prime, you have the best avatar on the forum. :)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:36 PM

@Prime

What is your avatar BTW?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:37 PM

I failed to make Graham's list. Damn.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 4:42 PM

Neodoxy - Prime's avatar is Bill Murray in Kingpin.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Lol Wheylous.  I appreciate your contributions too.  Sadly all lists must come to an end!  To me you are (or were) like Robin to JJ's Batman (thanks Jargon!).  I sense your best posts are still to come - and they won't be on this forum.

By the way, I nominate that What do you look like? thread as the funniest on the forum (shame some of the pics have disappeared though).  Anyone got any other nominations?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 2:59 PM

I agree that that was probably the funniest, but this one was pretty good to. I also like the pokemon thread I recently resurrected.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 3:42 PM

Anyone remember  Vichy Army ?

AKA Bitchy Army.

Also of note: LibertyStudent, Andrew Cain, Krazy Kaju, E. R. Olovetto, Wilderness, Daniel Muffinburg, Graham Wright, Sage, filc and DD5.

Too bad Olovetto was banned when Sanchez started modding more.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 5:33 PM

Neodoxy:

I also like the pokemon thread I recently resurrected.

It's praxeologically true. cheeky

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 7:38 PM

Re: "Too bad Olovetto was banned when Sanchez started modding more."

So THAT's where he went?!

Should have known. Pathetic.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:07 PM

It's the era when the "Member Issues" group was created.  I think Sanchez might have still been posting as Lilburne then.  I know one of his bans had to do with him posting a gif file of the Star of David turning into a Swastika.  I think everyone else got the irony in that except Sanchez.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:25 PM

Who the heck is "G8R HED"?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Dec 23 2012 10:35 PM

He posts occasionally.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:59 PM

I have another one to add: I fondly remember the "Reminiscing thread" - anyone else remember it? Haha, those were the good old days.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I remember when I first encountered Neodoxy on here and he scared the crap out of me by posting a link for me and then saying:

"and remember. I did this just. For. You."

Also, there was that whole "a" and "z" thing with the Peace and Freedom Party. That was quite a hoot.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 4,300
you12 replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 7:21 AM

Why is the forum closing down?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Why is the forum closing down?

The answer, my friend,

Is blowing in the wind.

The answer is blowing in the wind.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

I don't get on here much anymore, very rarely, but I do remember Liberty Student. Once I asked him if the world was indeed round, and he said "No." Very little grey with that guy, and although he was neurotic, I don't know many on this forum that haven't appeared to be at one time or another lol.

Liberty Student was entertaining, and I even followed his blog for about a day once upon a time. BTW What is the new forum? I might join it and become more engaged? When does it go live?

Page 2 of 2 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS