Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

POLL THREAD: Which of the new forums are you heading to?

rated by 0 users
This post has 66 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:14 PM

So as to gain consensus from the LvMI community, please post one or more of the forums you intend to 'move to'. Hopefully people will see this and more people will go to fewer boards, retaining a good poster density.

Jargon: LibertyHQ

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

What's wrong with going to both forums? That's what I'm going to do.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:30 PM

Agreed SkepticalMetal.

My thoughts.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:31 PM

Austrianforum, Voluntaryism forum, LibertyHQ, Anemone's forum.

You think that the LvMI community spread across these will have the degree of debate and discussion that we do on this single board?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Austrian forum and liberty hq.

We should have a vreader forum. Thats what i was thinking (not the mcb one)

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350
Aristippus replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:50 PM

Voluntaryism forum at least.  I'm unsure about the others.

Kelvin:  We could use the Voluntaryism forums for VR, especially as Autolykos is looking to join VR.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:58 PM

@Jargon: I think that different people are "energized" by different topics. Some people are laser-focused on just one or two topics, like the Bitcoin-tweakers. Others are generalists. Still others are lurkers and just "snipe" in a thread from time to time.

No one forum can keep everyone energized, at least, such a forum will really have to have done its "market research", which I don't think anyone really has. My suggestions are not directed at the forum creators - who each have their own ideas - but, rather, at the forum users. If you're a forum user, I think your best bet is to sign up on all three or four forums and then see how it pans out. It's not like it's going to cost you anything.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:07 AM

Clayton,

I'm very happy to know that you're heading over to the Austrian forums.

That's where I'm headed and I highly recommend that everyone else does the same. I'm a strong advocate for it. We Austrians need  to stick together, ya know.

What is Anenome's fourm?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:10 AM

Yeah, but do we need to stick together on one forum? Let's not forget that the mises.org forums have driven away a lot of the top posters. These people were generating quality content on a wide range of subjects. In case you haven't noticed, there aren't a lot of quality threads anymore lately. We have n00b threads, troll threads, perma-threads, and the occasional worthwhile totally-new-subject thread. But it's that last category that is what really drives a forum and makes it worthwhile.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:31 AM

Well yes but do you think that spreading out will actually solve the problem?

While there's something to be said for "widening the net" as it were, I've found that all the dullest forums are small ones with a handful of dedicated people

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

Neodoxy:
Well yes but do you think that spreading out will actually solve the problem?

It has a certain logic to it, especially if the various forums are willing to cross-promote each other.

With that in mind, I too would like to start a forum for the members here to visit.  In the spirit of Clayton's de novo idea, I would like user input on better ways to construct the forums, as I don't simply want to replicate similar economics/political forums if there are better ideas on how it could be done.  I would of course be glad to promote other forums.  My starter is here, but seeing as I'm the only mod at the moment and my time is limited, I don't know how easy posting will be with the apparently unpredictable spam post filter (at least until I can find a trustworthy mod).  But I have set it so joining the forum does not require mod approval.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:13 AM

@myhuman: How do you see your forum fitting with the others mentioned in this thread?

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:19 AM

Jargon:

Austrianforum, Voluntaryism forum, LibertyHQ, Anemone's forum.

I have a forum now? >_> News to me.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:24 AM

Oops. Thought you did. cheeky

Land & Liberty

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

I'm heading to the Austrain Forum and am considering joining Autolykos' forum.

I think the reason this forum dropped in quality was the that he forum started to break. No quote button, loads of spam and the failed Mises new community. I think it made the old posters disallusioned so they left - they will also be older now so may possibly have more commitments so the oppurtunity cost of posting on a broken forum was too high.

Hopefully the new, improved Austrian forum may herald their return.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

Clayton:
How do you see your forum fitting with the others mentioned in this thread?

Does it need to fit a certain way?  I think one thing this forum shows is that there is a lot of diversity in tastes, opinions and attitudes amongst everyone involved, despite everyone having (or having an appreciation of) a common sphere of influence.  Since other forums are "built" to the extent that they have an established theme, this one is more of a blank slate I'm hoping can be built through member input.  An experiment in market research, if you will.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:33 AM

I strongly believe that every effort should be made for the Mises Institute to preserve, improve, and properly maintain this forum. Please PM me if you agree.

Of course, other forums should be free to spring up, as well. The more the merrier. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Why have they decided to close it down? I don't get it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:13 AM

Definitely, the Twilight Saga Fan Forum. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:50 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but if anyone has tried registering in the Voluntaryism Forum and didn't get an e-mail response, either PM me on here or send an e-mail to voluntaryismforum@gmail.com and I'll manually create an account for you.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

I'll be joining AustrianForum, Auto's, and the one where the awesome anarchist blog is (can't remember the name.. Voluntaryism or something).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

There's a problem with having so many competing forums. How many people will just be waiting it out to see which forum gets the most members before signing up for any of them? And how many people will just not bother because no-one else is. There definitely needs to be a wholesale transition of this forum to a new one, usernames and passwords with it. Then a link should divert people from mises.org/community/forums to wherever the new one is.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:47 AM

^^ Where was this all my life?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:50 AM

@Consumariat: I'm pretty sure that's not technologically feasible, though I agree it would be the ideal scenario.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I still don't understand all of the hostile feelings towards the Austrian Forums. It most certainly has a better chat feature than here, and the forums look nice and glossy. Afraid of a little change, are we?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:14 PM

All of them.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:26 PM

Autolykos:
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but if anyone has tried registering in the Voluntaryism Forum and didn't get an e-mail response, either PM me on here or send an e-mail to voluntaryismforum@gmail.com and I'll manually create an account for you.

Correction: if you just e-mail me or PM me the username you registered under, I can manually activate your account.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:30 PM

Also, no matter what happens I advocate we have cross-forum threads/battles. You should go straight from one thread in forum A to quoting each other from what you wrote within that thread in another thread within forum B. Then after a while migrate back and then go straight to forum C...

That would be epic.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:40 PM

Paleodoxy:

Here are things which I think we need in the user interface. This is assuming that we can put anything into the reply features. I am ignorant as to the realities of this, however, so please excuse me if I ask for something which is impossible.

Well, once we get our cross-forum user interface, this should be easy.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:58 PM

I don't care about the sentimental value of this forum. I care about the value of the experience I had here, which was purely due to the type of thinker that was drawn here because it's the onsite forum for mises.org, and no other forum can replicate that.

Having said that...

A. I haven't heard enough real details to believe that a site as big as Mises.org intends to go without forums. This is the internet, after all.

B. If someone plans to build a forum that actually takes input from users and implements it, that's the kind of forum I care about. There are plenty of fairly large, established communities with standard ideas about how things should go, and I don't have plans to join a smaller unestablished forum with the same philosophy on management just because some of the people there have posted at the same place I've posted at before. If I move somewhere associated with here, it will be because of a stated purpose to move forward, and to me that means acknowledging and implementing user feedback.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

I'll be 'trolling' other forums when I get bored enough. There's no point in a bunch of people agreeing with one another 98% of the time, with the only apparent disagreements on definitions of tertiary adverbs which then spawn weeks worth of debate on a point that nobody made.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 3:32 PM

+1 gotlucky for awesome.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 5:06 PM

Any official word on...?

A. When these forums will be shut down, or why anyone believes this to be a fact?

B. The reason they're shutting down and who made the call. Was there an official announcement?

C. Why a site as massive and important and the Mises Institute can't have elementary, uber-standard features like oh, you know, a damn forum?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

why anyone believes this to be a fact?

It is a clever ruse designed to push away the recent middle school flood.  I also cannot see why the Mises Institute is "shutting it down." 

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:14 PM

Well, is that article about Mises institute advertising for a web-guy correct?

If they're shutting down this forum, might it be so they can migrate to a new forum software. And probably the new stuff isn't compatible with this forum software, no way to migrate threads over, so they kicked that to a guy who said he could transfer the forums off-site to a forum he'd manage, someone they trusted, and so they let him do that as a respectful gesture to the people here.

If in fact new forum software does come online here at some point, I expect we'll coalesce back here. The other various forums will be fine in the meantime.

But it's true that the major reason to be in Mises-hosted forums is as a rallying point for like-minded thinkers that we're unlikely to get via an outside forum.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

@Anenome

"But it's true that the major reason to be in Mises-hosted forums is as a rallying point for like-minded thinkers that we're unlikely to get via an outside forum."

This is true. Not too long ago I wanted to seek out fellow libertarians online, preferably in a large coummunity, so I Googled "libertarian forums" and Mises was one of the first results. It ended up being the best. So it'd be really sad to see this community splinter off.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:25 PM

No seriously, I mean I'm not embarassed to admit that I maybe missed something. Was there an announcement that these forums are being shut down? Or did everyone just see a post from some random admin named Blake, "This forum will be closed soon." and assume that it's true?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:58 PM

Migrating to Austrian Forum and that's it.  I don't need to be on 5 different forums to talk to the same 10-15 or so econ geeks.  We can just concentrate it in one place.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:59 PM
Yes we all assumed the announcement you saw was real and not a hoax. You can revel in your superior epistemology while you wait for the LVMI staff to take an interest in the forums, after all they never seemed to care before so its likely that they would change their minds really quick if a rogue admin posted a hoax message and a few other admin decided to go along with it. I'm assuming the announcement was true because I have no reason to doubt it and the cost of being wrong is relatively low.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Page 1 of 2 (67 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS