Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

POLL THREAD: Which of the new forums are you heading to?

rated by 0 users
This post has 66 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:04 PM

OK so just to be clear, THE announcement (the reason why everyone knows the forum is shutting down) is Blake's short sentence, "This forum will be closed soon."? I'm not arguing or implying anything, I'm literally curious how everyone came to believe the forum is shutting down. I thought maybe there was a real announcement with details about obvious questions somewhere that I missed.

And so...Blake has the authority and power to shut the forum down? And he intends to do so, but he won't tell anyone when or why?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:06 PM
He doesnt (necessarily) have the power, just the information.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:15 PM

Any theories on why he won't tell anyone (or maybe I just missed his answer)? A few people have asked him several times why and when (especially when, but why was an obvious questions as well), but I didn't notice that he actually answered...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:18 PM
Perhaps he knows that the forums are being closed but does not know the exact date. Perhaps he knows the date but has been instructed not to reveal it. My theory is they will close at the end of the year, because thays when something expires. Did you happen to see the "help wanted" ad on the front page? Has anyone heard from Daniel James Sanchez lately?

In any event, I have come to expect official representatives of the institute to be somewhat reticent when it comes to the matter of this community. Maybe thats why I dont find it odd that Blake didnt answer the questions.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:25 PM

Nuh uh, I don't use the main site any more, just the forums. I saw the ad reposted here though. Maybe the CTO will have been alive for the last 15 years and have noticed that major websites that foster communities do so in major part by having forums. Still, I got the impression Blake went out of his way to adress anything except the repeated questions when and why. I mean, he didn't even say, "I don't know when or why". He just didn't answer at all, despite being asked repeatedly and despite such questions being the utterly obvious primary response to an announcement such as the one he made.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:09 PM

Reddit is fundamentally different from a standard forum, although useful in its own right.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 12:51 AM

+1 Nielsio... you're doing a great job.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:24 AM

Even though in the other thread I said I'll be going to Austrian Forum and nowhere else, for all I know the forum interface could suck and then I'm lost in a world of econ forums.  I'm taking herd mentality on this one and will just follow the group.  Whichever has the most LvMI members migrating towards is the one I'm going to.

(Then again I'll see you all on the MCB board for VR.)

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 30
Points 665
SystemAdministrator

hashem, I am not trying to avoid that question. Just haven't been on this forum the past few days and I don't have the answer honestly. Had a stressful family issue come up right after I made the announcement So, sorry for being aloof. But, you raise a good point. I am a long-time lurker on this forum long before I became a contractor with LvMI. All that to say, I'm sorry this forum is shutting down. And, I don't have an answer as to the time table or much of the reasons. PM me if you have any other questions and I can try to answer as best I can. I have the admin access to shut the forum down. I don't have the permission. And I'm acting on my own with another forum because this one is shutting down. I have permission to try to archive the content here because I didn't want to see it go to waste (the forum was the main way I learned libertarianism and anarcho-capitalism, I really care about this content). My intentions here are to simply preserve this content the best way I can as well as help the users here find one of many new homes. I'll try to keep up with the questions in this forum as best I can. I will try to give everyone a time-table on all issues related to content here as well. Sorry for any confusion.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

The best way to preserve knowledge is to set it freeeeeee. wink

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,935
h.k. replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 12:23 PM

C. Blake Barber:

hashem, I am not trying to avoid that question. Just haven't been on this forum the past few days and I don't have the answer honestly. Had a stressful family issue come up right after I made the announcement So, sorry for being aloof. But, you raise a good point. I am a long-time lurker on this forum long before I became a contractor with LvMI. All that to say, I'm sorry this forum is shutting down. And, I don't have an answer as to the time table or much of the reasons. PM me if you have any other questions and I can try to answer as best I can. I have the admin access to shut the forum down. I don't have the permission. And I'm acting on my own with another forum because this one is shutting down. I have permission to try to archive the content here because I didn't want to see it go to waste (the forum was the main way I learned libertarianism and anarcho-capitalism, I really care about this content). My intentions here are to simply preserve this content the best way I can as well as help the users here find one of many new homes. I'll try to keep up with the questions in this forum as best I can. I will try to give everyone a time-table on all issues related to content here as well. Sorry for any confusion.

I don't know why mises.org doesn't want a forum, but it is a mistake. The forum is the most interesting part about Austrian economics, I hope the next board is just as groundbreaking. I'll definitely be trying all the proposed alternatives.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:47 PM

h.k.:
I have the admin access to shut the forum down. I don't have the permission. And I'm acting on my own with another forum because this one is shutting down.

Any chance whomever has been given permission and instruction can just...not shut down the forums? I feel I speak for everyone when I say if the only reason is the malfunctioning problems here and there, then I'd rather have the established albiet malfunctioning, official onsite forums than no forum at all.

Hell, without knowing any details or whatever I cannot FATHOM an excuse for shutting the forums down. If the problem is malfunctioning tidbits, I will personally be the first to donate to a high schooler to get the forums in reasonable shape, because it really is that easy.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,935
h.k. replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:47 PM

hashem:

h.k.:
I have the admin access to shut the forum down. I don't have the permission. And I'm acting on my own with another forum because this one is shutting down.

Any chance whomever has been given permission and instruction can just...not shut down the forums? I feel I speak for everyone when I say if the only reason is the malfunctioning problems here and there, then I'd rather have the established albiet malfunctioning, official onsite forums than no forum at all.

Hell, without knowing any details or whatever I cannot FATHOM an excuse for shutting the forums down. If the problem is malfunctioning tidbits, I will personally be the first to donate to a high schooler to get the forums in reasonable shape, because it really is that easy.

I have to concur completely.

Can't one of you rich dudes bribe mises.org with money? This place needs to stay open. New forums are nice but let's stick with the bread and butter we've come to love.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

looks like Austrianforum.com for me

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 8:30 AM

The chat on AustrianForum = win (but maybe a fail for some others).

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:01 AM

I will be making the LibertyHQ forum a lot more lively soon as I transfer some threads over.

Also, when people sign up they should shoot me a message so that I can add them to the appropriate groups.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:04 AM

Save for the lack of content, Austrainforum is in my opinion superior to this one in every way.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:48 AM

I have to wake up to comments like this?

This forum is the official, established, flourishing onsite forum for Mises.org.

Austrianforum is just another startup niche forum with par-for-the-course management philosophy. Not to diminish AF or Blake's efforts, but there's no way it's even remotely comparable to this forum.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:05 PM

Why? I thought we agreed this forum was abandonware?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:09 PM
Theres not much else to argue about this saturday morning
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:10 PM

If any of you kind souls would help me, I would appreciate help migrating important threads from here to LibertyHQ forums.

I'm starting with the JJ special collections.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:12 PM
Sorry I'm third millenium illiterate, meaning I cant code.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:15 PM

No code needed. Just copy paste the posts from here and redo the links using the BBCode URL tag. Like Text

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:33 PM
It sounds easier if someone could program a bot to do it.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:51 PM

Bots ain't easy to program :P

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 1:22 PM
Well not for me, see above.
Page 2 of 2 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS