Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Success, Socratic Style

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:06 AM

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/2012/12/22/success-socratic-style/

Libertarians often get caught up in internet debates which test both their knowledge and their rhetoric. An unfortunate truth is that the task of proving liberty is volumetrically larger than that of defend the state – you have to show in-depth knowledge on why all the different government interventions have to be stripped away, while the opponent can wave a magic wand and claim that government will solve a problem. The libertarian, then, has to be well-versed in economics, history, and philosophy, while the opposition can say that we just need to “elect the right people into power.” I’d like to let you in on a public secret: The Socratic Method.

Seems like this guy has discovered how to never lose a debate again. Also says that you can actually convert people. I don't know what you guys think, but this man's a genius. Read it! NOW!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Has he managed to convert you? ;)

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:28 AM

I think so, I really do.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 52
Points 1,190
Egon replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:38 AM

In my experience, I believe that the Socratic method only works with individuals who are willing to cooperate with me and who share my same sense of logic.  I estimate that this is between 10% and 40% of the people with whom I interact.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:25 PM

What percentage of people do you think are even able to change at all, regardless of the approach someone uses?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Maybe Mitt Romney was correct - 47%.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:28 PM

Seems like this guy has discovered how to never lose a debate again. Also says that you can actually convert people. I don't know what you guys think, but this man's a genius. Read it! NOW!

It's not possible to win every debate since this would require you to know something about every middle term of every argument, and this requires that you know everything. Of course it occurs to me that if you could reduce everyone's reasons down to a few reasons you DO know, you would be able to win, however that is generally impractical since not every statement is connected w/each other statement (an argument about logic won't spill over into an argument over aesthetics).

Statists and everyone in general should realize that they will, even in possibility if not in practice, lose at least one debate.

The only thing one needs to know about debates is when to "shake the dust from your feet" and move on.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS