Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** January 2013 Low Content Thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome Posted: Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:27 PM

Leaded gasoline caused crime spike and decline in 60's - 90's. Good causality link established.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:48 PM

And then they say the fluoride people are crazies.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:01 PM

2013 and the forum hasn't vanished yet.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 232
Points 4,905

I posted this at Wheylous's LibertyHQ forums (which you should join) but I think the people here will like it too.

Last night my parents were watching some sort of "Restaurant Takeover" show where someone comes in and fixes up a failing restaurant.

Anyways,I was reading MES while they were watching,and one part of the show caught my attention.

There was a meeting between the owners,the show host,and the employees. I think one of the employees had been complaining about something,I don't know what since I was too engrossed in my reading.

The response of the show host was to ask the employees when they last got paid. They all answered "last week".

He then asked the owners when they last got paid, and they said "2009".

I thought it was kind of cool to see Bohm-Bawerk's refutation of the exploitation theory in real life.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:12 PM

I watched the movie Equilibrium. I thought it was pretty decent. Dystopian future.

WARNING, SPOILERS:

So the movie is about a future after WWIII where the great leaders have decided that to prevent war and crime, people's emotions need to be suppressed with drugs. The government is, of course, authoritarian. The main character skips a dose of his and this leads to the entire plot of the film. At one point, before the conversion, the main character is talking to a rebel in the ranks of the police, and this exchange occurs:

John Preston (main character): There's no war. No murder. 
Partridge (rebel in police): What is it you think we do?

I thought it was an extremely shocking and apt phrase to describe the state of affairs. Eerily enough, almost the exact same question may be posed to government:

"We fight war. We fight theft. We fight kidnapping"

"What is it you think we do?"

Of course, this is imperfect, but if we could make a libertarian movie about governmental dystopia...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:22 PM

I've heard good things about Equilibrium, but I didn't know that's what it was about.

I've seen a different version of those "makeover" shows, a girl I was sort of dating would watch them for the hair salons, and even though some of it seemed theatrical it was interesting.  The host and owner would discuss about everyone's productivity, and if someone didn't meet the cut they would essentially lose their job (probably better off for the business), but I always wondered what their actual business reviews and profits were like before and after the business makeover, not just the employee's own critique of their business.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:28 AM

Sort of a "dancey" synth track I did with pieces of Joseph Campbell talking from The Power of Myth interview with Bill Moyers.

If anyone knows any good audio clips of some fellow Austrians talking about the state I could use them (only if they aren't dry and too lecture sounding).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Could I get some thoughts on this article?

http://lewrockwell.com/margolis/margolis321.html

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Also, I just got a nice e-mail:

"In the coming New Year, 2013, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day. This is an ironic juxtaposition of events. One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant creature of little intelligence for prognostication. The other involves a groundhog."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:21 PM

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Alex Jones on Piers Morgan now... Holy shit

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:15 PM
an establishment counterintel talking head appearing on an establishment spokesperson's show? Wow indeed
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:26 PM

Yep. This is terrible news for gun advocates. They basically get this loud round clown all psyched up and let him loose on stage to let him blabber on about 'muh tyranny' and 'muh freedoms'. Do AJ fans honestly think that this man is helping anyone?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Jones = managed opposition.

It's clear cut now. The guy acts like a delusional, demented lunatic for a reason.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:07 PM

He honestly just made all gun owners look mentally insane. Watch the legislation ensue.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

The legislation will probably come on recommendation of the committee with the cop on it whose son planned a Columbine-style massacre not too long ago.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAMfCG6nn1w

Reminds me of you guys. It's like being animated is a sin these days. We all saw how this douche treated Larry Pratt. The response isn't to go in and have tea and crumpets with the guy. You let him know what a puss he is, and take him down a notch. Not everyone solves their problems with .pdf reading lists.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

Ha, nope. This is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n33JMVGs5wM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:31 AM

Alex Jones= Absolute Champion.

You have to admire a man who embodies leftist stereotypes so well that he can spit them off better than someone making fun of him could.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:31 AM

Holy crap. I just watched the second link habbababba posted, and either Alex Jones is unstable or Malachi is right about him. There is something very wrong with him.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

They love to bring on the lunatics to debate. I was listening to the Diane Rehm Show on NPR the other day...she had nothing but gun control advocate "experts" on her show, and she took the liberty of reading some e-mail that she had supposedly gotten (it could have been some 12-year-old troll, but you know she'll decieve all of those types anyway) where it was some redneck who said "there's a n*g*er in the White House, praise the lord and pass the ammunition. Second Amendment Rulez."

It was a blatant shout-out to everyone saying "this is what everyone who wants their right to own a gun is like." Alex Jones is not helping.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ Neodoxy

You forgot this one...one heck of a night for Doug.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Neodoxy:
You have to admire a man who embodies leftist stereotypes so well that he can spit them off better than someone making fun of him could.

You raise a very good point. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ HabbaBabba

I just watched Piers Morgan's "interview" of Larry Pratt. I really have to hand it to Larry, not just in what he represents but for keeping his cool so well, especially when that inbred snotwad Morgan had nothing to throw at him but abrasive reviles. Honestly, it just made me rage.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

^But when someone else does it they're a lunatic. You know, if something is supposed to piss you off, you'd better get pissed off. Didn't you ever deal with bullies?

And if you don't want Alex Jones speaking for you, don't. He doesn't speak for me. Only I do. If someone wants to lump you in with him, for any reason, they aren't worth talking to anyway. Collectivists. "Oh you're one of those?" They've made up their mind. Leave them be. There wasn't any convincing going to happen on Piers Morgan anyway. Just publicity, and he'll get it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

It's just that the majority of people think in categories, and therefore if we are to truly deal with these types, than we have to be careful about how we represent the libertarian case. That's just what I think.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

"We"? Homie don't play that game. When you get the interview, you can handle it how you want. Alex got the interview. Alex handled it how he wanted. Personally, I think the time for convincing is over. They'll either wake up through their own circumstance like with this tax hike, or not and they aren't relevant. Even still, most Americans like when people get excited? Just not the internet people. Hipsters, nerds, 'readers'. But everyone else loves them some drama.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Probably the best part of the interview (from I Bet Ludwig von Mises can get more fans than John Maynard Keynes):

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Piers Morgan vs Alex Jones and Gun Homicide Rates

Ben Swann on the interview.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 3:26 PM

James Buchanan has died 9.1.2013! Why has no-one mentioned? Rest in Peace!

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's been stated many times (including here) that Milton Friedman advocated the abolishment of the Fed toward the end of his life.  However, he died in late 2006.  I had no idea he was this adament this early on (plus he says "long been in favor", implying he's held his opinion for quite some time even before the interview)...

Note: Murray Rothbard was still alive when this interview took place...so it's quite feasible he was aware of Friedman's stark anti-Fed position before he died.  I'm wondering if he ever mentioned it.  Anyone have any literature?

P.S.

For anyone interested, as usual, the interview is excellent.  I highly recommend it:

Part 1

Part 2

I particularly enjoy the 2 minutes starting at 20:40 in part 2.  Among other things, Friedman verbalizes the concept illustrated in this video Clayton is quite fond of referencing, namely the reality of benefits of government intervention being concentrated, while the costs tend to be dispersed.

And for more, see The Milton Friedman/Thomas Sowell Collection from Guides and Knowledge for your Intellectual Journey.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:17 PM
Illinois deledefs consider legislation requiring that money be registered:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3341&GAID=11&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=64562&SessionID=84&GA=97

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:24 PM
http://www.au.af.mil/info-ops/perception.htm

You're not who you think you are; you're not who others think you are; you're who you think others think you are! --- Source Unknown

Humankind cannot bear very much reality. --- T. S. Eliot

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. --- Albert Einstein

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --- Arthur Schopenhauer

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. --- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (1962 movie)

And more!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 8:07 PM
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-north-korean-video-game-people-who-hate-fun/
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:43 AM

White House turns down petition to build Death Star. Seriously.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 3 (87 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS