Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** January 2013 Low Content Thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:29 AM

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 5:51 PM

ThatOldGuy:

Wow, good to know. I'll be watching out for those warning signs much more carefully now.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Good to know those White House Petitions have become nothing more than a series of jokes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57563629-1/white-house-shoots-down-petition-to-build-death-star/

Also, did anyone else get an email politely rejecting the secession petition? Well, here it is, with the stupidest parts highlighted: 

"In a nation of 300 million people -- each with their own set of deeply-held beliefs -- democracy can be noisy and controversial. And that's a good thing. Free and open debate is what makes this country work, and many people around the world risk their lives every day for the liberties we often take for granted.
But as much as we value a healthy debate, we don't let that debate tear us apart.
Our founding fathers established the Constitution of the United States "in order to form a more perfect union" through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self-government. They enshrined in that document the right to change our national government through the power of the ballot -- a right that generations of Americans have fought to secure for all. But they did not provide a right to walk away from it. As President Abraham Lincoln explained in his first inaugural address in 1861, "in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these States is perpetual." In the years that followed, more than 600,000 Americans died in a long and bloody civil war that vindicated the principle that the Constitution establishes a permanent union between the States. And shortly after the Civil War ended, the Supreme Court confirmed that "[t]he Constitution, in all its provisions, looks to an indestructible Union composed of indestructible States."
Although the founders established a perpetual union, they also provided for a government that is, as President Lincoln would later describe it, "of the people, by the people, and for the people" -- all of the people. Participation in, and engagement with, government is the cornerstone of our democracy. And because every American who wants to participate deserves a government that is accessible and responsive, the Obama Administration has created a host of new tools and channels to connect concerned citizens with White House. In fact, one of the most exciting aspects of the We the People platform is a chance to engage directly with our most outspoken critics.
So let's be clear: No one disputes that our country faces big challenges, and the recent election followed a vigorous debate about how they should be addressed. As President Obama said the night he won re-election, "We may have battled fiercely, but it's only because we love this country deeply and we care so strongly about its future."
Whether it's figuring out how to strengthen our economy, reduce our deficit in a responsible way, or protect our country, we will need to work together -- and hear from one another -- in order to find the best way to move forward. I hope you'll take a few minutes to learn more about the President's ideas and share more of your own."
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

@ WillyTruth

Well it's good to know that the writing that certified the authoritative nature of the state came not from Murray Rothbard or Franz Oppenheimer but from the White House directly.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 10:07 PM

Two armed strangers rescue man robbed at gunpoint...

Victim: "I don't believe in guns, I don’t own a gun.  So, I’m totally at the mercy of my saviors. They obviously sent two angels to help me. These people protected me when I couldn’t protect myself.”

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Steve Baker MP UK Conservative party.

more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNOU4OgSAA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nphani7Gqys

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 5:48 PM

Come ON bro, what the heck? (Not you, SM, but Mr. Paul).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 2:11 AM

Oh HELL NO. If this goes through, criminy.

Supreme Court to consider if silence can be evidence of guilt

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 11:41 AM

That's a little misrepresentative:

Salinas voluntarily answered police questions for about an hour, but he became silent when asked whether shotgun shells found at the crime scene would match a gun found at his home. An officer testified that Salinas demonstrated signs of deception.

Silence, in the context of having been answering questions. This is one reason you don't even start answering any questions, because at some point you'll decide it's not a good idea, which in itself will give more information than you want to give.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:10 AM

Devaluations as far as the eye can see.

First Shots Are Fired in Global 'Currency War'

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:29 AM

Silence, in the context of having been answering questions.

Distinction without a difference. Silence is silence. You have a right to answer all, none or some questions and the questions you do not answer are simply information that you did not provide to the prosecutor, that is, your legal opponent in the court case. Since you have no duty to provide any of this information in the first place, provision of some information cannot create any obligation to provide any other information. By this logic, the moment I give a dollar in change to the homeless guy on the corner, I'm henceforth obligated to give him my entire net worth. Not obligated means not obligated. Inferring guilt from not doing something a person is not obligated to do is, well, it's making it an obligation on that person.

Despite the fact they are a bunch of soulless, bloodsucking vampires, I'm fairly confident SCOTUS will do the right thing on this one because a) it's obvious what the right answer is and b) I don't see how they substantially benefit vis-a-vis the massive political backlash that will certainly occur if they defang the fifth amendment.

What people don't generally understand is that "everything you say can and will be used against you" is not particular to the State... any legal adversary can and will use anything you say against you in a court of law. This is why insurers, bill collectors, etc. record all conversations you have with them. They are collecting your own words to be replayed in court against you. Nothing is as damning as someone saying "Well yeah, I owe that money but..." Trying to come back to court later and deny you owe money after admitting on tape that you owe it is generally a non-starter. The point is that the State has no more right to demand answers from you and I than we have to demand answers from each other. If you don't answer my questions to my legal convenience so I can build a better lawsuit against you, that's your prerogative. I can't threaten to have you thrown in jail because you didn't incriminate yourself sufficiently to my tastes so I can get a bigger lawsuit award against you. The fifth amendment is essentially the same limitation applied to the State.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:30 AM

And since this can never be posted too many times:

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 10:36 AM

Wonderful video. I think it was the first I saw on this forum.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:31 AM

Concerned about gun control? Fear not, the free markets got your back:

3D printed 30-round magazines

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 12:04 PM

Massively illegal theme park that benefits all visitors, harms nobody, and that the "owner" of the theme didn't bother building. Indeed, go China!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

The comments are scary. Page upon page with arguing about the act of getting away with stealing the IP, not the validity of the IP.

Did Blizzard pay Tolkien, and CS Lewis for their ideas concerning mythical creatures? That's what was cool about Torchlight 2. A couple Diablo 2 guys be like hey let's go build a better game than D3 and encourage modding. F*** it, let's even make the mod tools. This after we sell the game for forty bucks less than those assclowns. Then some more D2 fellas say, oh yeah? F*** you, we're going to release a free to play game better than Diablo 3 AND we got Marvel characters.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:19 PM

Our view on IP law is derivative of deep libertarian principles, and counterintuitive even to libertarians upon first sight, and hard to grok even with study. Even harder to imagine how a market would adapt to it successfully.

It's yet another thing that we will have to show actually working in practice before it gains wider acceptance.

The onus is on us (haha!) to get a working society up and running and begin drawing citizens the world over to Society 2.0.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:31 PM

This is like the tactic of using a telemarketer's script against them, only with the border guard:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

HabbaBabba:
The comments are scary. Page upon page with arguing about the act of getting away with stealing the IP, not the validity of the IP.

That seems to be (at least ultimately anyway) a distinction without a difference.  I suppose you could try to argue that it's "scary" in that people are "evil" in that they don't believe IP is illegitimate but rather believe it is legit, and are just actively trying to violate laws protecting it...i.e. knowingly and purposefully doing something "bad".

But I personally don't find that to be a very strong argument.  What's more, I would actually argue that the very reason so many people don't seem to have a problem (or even give a real second thought) to violating IP laws is because on some level they know they're illegitimate.

I think this is the main explanation for the extreme rise of the "pirate" culture.  Reading sites like Torrentfreak and Falkvinge.net, seeing things like Everything is a Remix and other related lectures, and especially the advent of groups like the Pirate Party...and even just looking at the sheer numbers of Bittorrent users and the popularity of all the various sharing platforms...you get a sense of just how pervasive this notion is.

And these people don't fully "get it"...they haven't read the works of the advisory board at c4sif.org necessarily.  But they obviously on some level, to some degree or another, understand there's something very wrong with IP, and especially the way it is treated and handled in the world today.  It's very similar to the prevalence and pervasiveness of speakeasys and the like, during Prohibition.  This widespread occurance of illegal activity wasn't the result of a sudden surge of "evil".  It was the natural and predicable result of making something that is not unethical (and which much of the population enjoyed) against the law.

I believe that was certainly the case for me.  I honestly never felt bad about downloading or making a copy of something, especially not for my own personal use.  Admittedly it was a source of struggle, as it does go against what one is taught indoctrinated into essentially from childhood, and as mentioned, it takes quite a bit of study and consideration to even begin to be comfortable with the idea of no IP (much like the idea of no rulers).  But it's not as if reading Kinsella and Hoppe "changed my mind" necessarily...so much as it verbalized and articulated notions I already had...simply spelling them out (and fleshing them out) in a coherent explication, as well as rooting them in a logical structure of reason.

Again, I think it's much the same as a journey to libertarianism in general.  I think many will recount a largely similar experience in how they came to identify as they do...namely, they always kind of felt certain things and held certain beliefs/views...but never actually were able to nail them down and solidify them until various aspects were illuminated by the words of some scholar before them.

In short, I don't find anything "scary" at all about people discussing ways to get away with violating illegitimate laws.  I don't find the idea of Harriet Tubman scary, I don't find the acts of Anne Frank scary...and I don't find people talking about how to share information without getting put in a cage scary.

What's scary are the people who advocate that people like Harriet Tubman and individuals who share information should be thrown in a cage.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Who says rap can't have stimulating messages?

Immortal Technique, "4th Branch": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YHq-SevTcQ

Immortal Technique, "Cause of Death": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpgppZwX3Gw

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 6:06 PM

Obama Begins Inauguration Festivities With Ceremonial Drone Flyover

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 6:33 PM

HAHA, that was awesome... so believable...

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 2:00 PM

Get far away from USA...its collapse will be messy: Jeff Berwick

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 8:59 PM

Wow, the "interviewer" just couldn't restrain herself from painting him as an extremist at every point. She wasn't comfortable letting his answers to her questions stand on their own.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:19 PM

My latest article:

The Theory Of Money In The Tradition Of Carl Menger. Part I

http://nielsio.tumblr.com/post/41447049086/the-theory-of-money-in-the-tradition-of-carl-menger

Note that this is not compatible with modern Austrians such as Rothbard, Salerno, Hullsman, Murphy, Bagus, and others.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:21 PM

@Blargg: I felt like he could have been a bit more articulate since it's obvious she, like most people, doesn't know much about voluntary society.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:29 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:31 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Obama Goes On Shooting Spree

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13890-the-second-amendment-was-ratified-to-preserve-slavery

Second Amendment? Racist.

It's cool that even in the comment section people are calling this out for the quackery it is:

"The author places many quotes out of context. You may try reading the Dred Scott decision. After you do, feel free to write an article declaring that the sole purpose of the US judiciary was to enforce slavery, because the courts did exactly that for over 150 years. Clearly, the entire purpose of the Justice Department was to enforce slavery in all 50 states. By further extension, the US flag flown over Ft McHenry was a flag devoted 100% to the enforcement of slavery during the Battle of Baltimore. Therefore, the Star Spangled Banner as a song is devoted to enforcing slavery. Yankees fly the US flag in the stadium in NY. Therefore, the Yankees are playing baseball to enforce slavery and racism. Are you getting the point?"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Adam Kokesh: Makin' brothas think

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:29 PM

This is awesome, Central Banks feeling threatened by Bitcoin, saying its "ease of use" could threaten them! Hahaha! I love the free market! And I love that we can use technology to undermine statism ^_^

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-28/bitcoin-s-gains-may-fuel-central-bank-concerns-chart-of-the-day.html

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:25 AM

i kind of like what steffy has to say here about spreading the liberty movement

starts at 39:22

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

HAHA, that was awesome... so believable...

What? You mean this didn't happen? I suppose they just used some advanced stealth technology.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 2:17 PM

Metaphor for capitol hill?

Page 2 of 3 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS