Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Two books by Thomas Sowell

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905
fegeldolfy posted on Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:54 PM

Is anyone familiar with the works "On Classical Economics" and "Marxism:Philosophy and Economics" by Thomas Sowell, and if so, do you recommend them?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
219 Posts
Points 3,980

I'm not familiar with Marxism, but On Classical Economics is great for my money.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

What did you like about it?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

I've read Marxism and I recommend it.  It's a general overview of Marxism with a critique at the end.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

yes I just found an ebook version of Marxism online. It looks good.

Not Ranked
Male
47 Posts
Points 610
Raoul replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 2:21 AM

Rothbard criticizes it in the second volume of his History of Economic Thought. Indeed, Sowell asserts Böhm-Bawerk demonstration's in Karl Marx and the Close of his System is erroneous. According to Rothbard, this passage of Sowell's book was written when the author was still marxist and was not changed since. 

Not a native speaker - you may correct my spelling errors.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Sowell... Was a Marxist?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

Yeah,strange isn't it?

I found a RevLeft thread where someone recommended this book. He of course couldn't resist calling Sowell an Uncle Tom though.

anyways I'm actually more interested in On Classical Economica because I have no way of previewing it because I may order the paperback from amazon.

Not Ranked
Male
47 Posts
Points 610
Raoul replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 5:30 AM

According to wikipedia:

Sowell has stated that he was a Marxist “during the decade of my 20s"; one of his earliest professional publications was a sympathetic examination of Marxist thought vs. Marxist-Leninist practice.[10] His experience working as a federal government intern during the summer of 1960 caused him to reject Marxian economics in favor of free market economic theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

Not a native speaker - you may correct my spelling errors.
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Points 4,905

I've already found a copy of Marxism, so now I'm mostly interested in what people think of On Classical Economics.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS