Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Reason magazine?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760
Kelvin Silva Posted: Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:12 AM

I'm interested in subscribing to a magazine (a physical booky one, not email), and reason magazine seems interesting.

Are they any good? If not what other libertarian oriented magazines are out there?

Is the ae quarterly journal an actualy magazine that i can subscribe to? or i have to buy each one individually everytime?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:36 AM

Reason is top notch,IMO 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 1:03 AM

It has the Student seal of approval so it seems legit to me.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Reason, The Independent Review, The Freeman.

Those are just the ones I know. I can't recommend them personally since I've never actually read one, I'm just listing them since you said you were also interested in what other libertarian magazines there were out there. I do know however that The Freeman is the oldest and probably the most respected out of any libertarian publication.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 10:07 AM

Reason Magazine seems to be better than CATO or the Randians but significantly worse in their orientation towards individual freedom and private property rights than this website, LRC, Free Talk Live, etc. 

In additions to the magazines suggested below, the Foundation for an Economic Education may also have a print magazine?  Try there.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah you might find Reason a bit more digestible, but I would argue The Freeman is at least a bit better in terms of its analysis (especially economics-wise).

If you need a physical print magazine, I'd say you're good with either of those.  The Independent Review is published quarterly by the Independent Institute and edited by badass Bob Higgs, so you can rest that you're pretty good with that one as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much else (if anything at all) in this realm that's worth your time (and especially your money going to the organization (e.g. Cato)).

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Cato is quite frightening. You know who served on the Board of Directors there once? Murdoch. And I'm not talking about John Murdoch from Dark City, either.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

If you really want some semi-inside baseball on that whole thing (particularly over the last year, with the court case and the regime changes), run a search on EPJ for "cato".  Wenzel is in the know on that one to a ridiculous degree.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS