Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

where do i find economic data

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 727
Points 11,605
meambobbo Posted: Tue, Aug 5 2008 5:42 PM

I can find the TMS (True Money Supply) statistic on this site by simply google searching it.  Does Mises also provide other data, perhaps for instance graphing other measures against TMS?

Thanks!

Check my blog, if you're a loser

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

I found this page of economic data from a link on the, um, home page...

Shouldn't be too hard to import the data into a spreadsheet and graph it since they cite the sources.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

You are probably going to want some statistical software like SAS, Eviews, or Stata. You can also use Excel but it isn't as useful. I use Stata and found that you can find lots of good data sets from here.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Tue, Aug 5 2008 8:55 PM

a good stats application like SAS or SPSS doesn't come cheaply!

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

david_z:

a good stats application like SAS or SPSS doesn't come cheaply!

How about free as in beer?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Tue, Aug 5 2008 10:41 PM

wow.  i'll have to check that out!

Currently at work I use SPSS with a network license.  The network license is incompatible with our VPN, which means essentially that when I'm working remotely, I can't use SPSS.  If I can load one of our ascii files into that app, that would be a lifesaver.

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

david_z:
wow.  i'll have to check that out!

I never miss a chance to pimp the GNU...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 9:52 AM

unfortunately, without a simple button to "download now!" I'm completely lost with file formats, operating systems, and terminology that I don't understand (e.g., .TAR, "compiler", linux emulator DLLs, etc.)

David Z

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

This page looks like the winders binary.

It should have everything you need in the install file, you just need that other stuff if you want to build it from source.

Well, I should say hopefully since I don't really know how the whole winders linux emulation works since I just use linux.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 11:11 AM

I'll check it out - thanks for the tip.

David Z

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS