Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Rothbard's University Revolution

This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285
SkepticalMetal Posted: Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:57 PM

I recently read that Rothbard advocated violent revolution in universities to "take down" the officials associated with government in the universities. Could I get some thoughts on this? Sounds like Karl Rothbard to me, that with his praise for Che.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Sauce?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 5:35 PM

^

Dan's right.

Need Sauce.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

There you go.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

Everyone should stop expecting their kids to go to go into debt to go to college/university and just watch the Peter Schiff show and look at free stuff at Mises.org

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

SM from reading half the article and skimming the rest, it seems like Rothbard is arguing about reclaiming the property of the universities, not killing professors or anything.

Also, I wouldn't read any of Rothbard's political writings. Political theory - yes. Actual politics - useless.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

...And what did you think he had in mind for reclaiming that property, hmm?

"Please sir, may the big scary drone-armed government go away?"

Don't think I'm saying that I agree with his theory of Revolutionary U.

Also, I find his political writings quite entertaining - very Marxyesque.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:41 AM

Re: "Could I get some thoughts on this?"

Yeah. Nothing you've said at all justifies your views. Doesn't even come close. As is the inane dismissals of those who don't bother to look any further. I mean, is it too much to ask for an actual reference to a particular passage with an argument to go along with it as to why it is wrong? To at least get the gist of an articulate critique beyond vague generalizations, and dismissals?

The level of discussion on display here indicates to me that this place isn't dying... it died long ago.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Okay...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:38 PM
Conza, he is like eight years old.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Real slick, Malachi.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:02 PM
Feel free to grow up anytime.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I'm a little disconcerted now...is this still a running gag, or has it turned into an actual revile?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:33 PM
I'm sorry. I'm a terrible cyber bully. Its a running gag, I think youre doper than judge napolitano, tough like rocky marciano. Youre a gentleman and a scholar, not to mention a factotum and a neologizer. I apologize for disturbing you.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:43 PM
Youre not a neologizer?
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Do I make up words? No, not usually.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Where did the age gag start?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Back on the Mises chat feature...oddly enough it was when Star Wars Episode I was brought up. Figures. Everything that is bad begins with Star Wars Episode I.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:03 PM
Probably in the obstetrics wing.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I can see this SM-bashing meme isn't going to go away. How very non-aggressive of you, thanks.

(don't bother telling me that since it's only words, it has nothing to do with aggression)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

The level of discussion on display here indicates to me that this place isn't dying... it died long ago.

Sorry we're not up to your standards. Luckily, they're not that important to us, which is why we continue to post here.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 2:40 AM

Re: "Sorry we're not up to your standards. Luckily, they're not that important to us, which is why we continue to post here."

The following on from my post further validates my point. I'm amused by this "us". I must be imaginging the fact a certain someone was approached for feedback regarding the new forum, and a certain yourself wasn't. Not that is clearly anything to write home about...

But in all seriousness... if this is part of the strategy to officially "end" this forum... so the others can kick off - I think it's brilliant.

If that's the case, then by all means continue with the exceptionally high caliber posts... this place is well on it's way to becoming another Ron Paul Forums yes

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I hold my OP to be perfectly legitimate. The responses? Well if you don't like the discussion on here, I'm sorry. I don't think it can really be helped that the days of krazy kaju, liberty student and wilderness are gone.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:24 AM

SM, I don't think he'd advocate the beginning of some supposed revolution by outright violence againt the officials. Instead, just occupy the college space in some way.

I don't agree with his strategy, but ah well.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

What would you advocate?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 5:35 PM
Educate the educators.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I just posted an article to the Voluntaryist Reader that's probably going to be controversial on here...and detested by you, Malachi.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Conza, this place will never turn into a Ron Paul Forums. We have some more amatuers (i.e. noobs) than years back, and the discussion isn't as intellectual, but that's not a problem to everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (30 items) | RSS