Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What symbols do libertarians have? Do libertarians need symbols?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename Posted: Tue, Jan 8 2013 4:02 PM

Libertarian being defined in the broad sense, does libertarianism have any symbols which serve both as a visually attractive symbol and a means of propagating the message?

I ask because I've noticed that totalitarian statism especially, but all forms of statism, are logically able to do things like carry-out mass rallies or have popular symbols. Libertarianism however, seems unable to do this by the very fact that the ideology contradicts it or at least doesn't imply that all people should work as one, therefore eliminating pageantry (which is something that I think every mass movement needs).

Does libertarianism even need to be a mass movement?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

For one thing, capitalism is all about division of labor and free trade.  How you think a computer mouse, or even a pencil gets made without people "working together as one", I have no idea.

For another, you haven't seen these?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:34 PM

We appropriate symbols as we see fit and discard them as we see fit. This is not merely a movement. Movements always serve some purpose, some goal, some aim. There is no goal or aim to liberty... liberty is just precisely the absence of imposed goals and aims. Hence, liberty-minded people use a variety of symbols whenever it suits their purposes, or don't when it does not.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I would not use the V for Vendetta symbol, as Alan Moore is an anarchist in...well you know...the traditional sense.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:26 PM

I'd fly the black and yellow any day, and the B&Y-V also.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 781
Points 13,130

How about the crossed-out beehive? : )

I invented it, far as I know - refers to Oppenheimer's metaphor for the State. First there were bandits periodically raiding people, like a hungry bear raiding a beehive - but the beehive gets destroyed in the process. Then, in the birth of the State, the bandits got smart and started farming their victims, like a beekeeper farms a beehive. The beehive in the symbol stands for the beekeeper, the State.

And my signature....

Apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est - the beekeeper must be destroyed, the hungry bear must be kept at bay.

To complete the symbol, I suppose it should include a bear in a cage, but that's beyond my Windows Paint abilities...suppose you could do it yellow and black too.

apiarius delendus est, ursus esuriens continendus est
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 1:19 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 11:01 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

For one thing, capitalism is all about division of labor and free trade.  How you think a computer mouse, or even a pencil gets made without people "working together as one", I have no idea.

For another, you haven't seen these?

I suppose I mean that any libertarian symbol must state, by virtue of the ideology it represents, that "you may either work together or not".  This is opposed on the opposite side, by the hammer and sickle which states that "we must all work together".

I think the same can be said of other symbols: nazism's swatstika which uses shared racial struggles as constituting the unique work of the party, the cross which represents shared suffering as a compelling reason to work together.

But libertarian symbols only represent shared indifference towards being together or not and as such, do not carry the "punch" that I think these other symbols have.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 11:04 AM

We appropriate symbols as we see fit and discard them as we see fit. This is not merely a movement. Movements always serve some purpose, some goal, some aim. There is no goal or aim to liberty... liberty is just precisely the absence of imposed goals and aims. Hence, liberty-minded people use a variety of symbols whenever it suits their purposes, or don't when it does not.

Clayton -

I like this answer best; I never thought about how we could use any symbol we like depending on the context.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

fakename:
I suppose I mean that any libertarian symbol must state, by virtue of the ideology it represents, that "you may either work together or not".

I don't see why.  The basic tenets of libertarianism are nothing more than non-aggression and property rights.

Everything pretty much falls within those two things.  Capitalism is simply what occurs when non-aggression and property rights are observed...namely, capital accumulation, division of labor, and free trade.  I think these things are encapsulated quite well in the symbols above.

For example:

The colors of the symbol are yellow (or gold) and black. Yellow is a reference to gold, which was the market chosen money. So it's a reference to free market money, and by extension the free market and capitalism. Black is a reference to anarchy. Anarchy, or an-archy, means no rulers.

The shape at the top of the symbol represents a handshake, which is the most typical expression of a voluntary agreement.

(And of course, the V stands for Voluntary).

The same essentially goes for these:

...where the A is a common symbol for anarchism, and of course the dollar sign and "C" represent capitalism.  Even the simple black and gold flag encompasses the main spirit of what is being relayed.

I also like the porcupine, as it seems to embody non-aggression.  Obviously property rights is not made obvious in that one, but still.  It makes for a great mascot if you're into that kind of thing...

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS