Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Investing

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw Posted: Wed, Aug 6 2008 1:34 AM

I want to start playing the stock market but I'm not sure where to begin. Suggestions?

• | Post Points: 35
replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 2:47 AM

Value investing.(end of story.)       Ben Graham, David Dodd, Warren Buffett, Joel Greenblatt

Books to get.

Security Analysis editions 1934, 1940, (1951 get the third)$, 1962

The Intelligent Investor(get an older one)$

Storage and Stability: A Modern Ever-normal Granary

The Interpretation of Financial Statements$

World Commodities and World Currency

Benjamin Graham, the memoirs of the dean of Wall Street

1913 turned people upside down and most still think, the peoples feet aren't in the air but yes the air is full of feet.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 175
Points 4,205

Crash Proof: How to Profit From the Coming Economic Collapse - Peter Schiff

"The plans differ; the planners are all alike"

-Bastiat

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,840

ChaseCola:

Crash Proof: How to Profit From the Coming Economic Collapse - Peter Schiff

Summary:  Invest with Europac.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955

Stolz2525:

if I give 1000 dollars to EUROPAC, would that be enough for them to allow me to invest in stock market abroad?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stolz2525:

It does read like that through the last half of the book, although Peter is quick to point out that his is not the only firm that does this, and there are several questions you should ask of any firm before going with them.

I'd be curious to read about how people have done with Europac.  Does anyone know where such feedback can be found?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 113
Points 2,020
Remnant replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 10:36 AM

Mancel suggests the books that Warren Buffett has built his fortune upon and so that is clearly good advice.  Some other books in the same vein are:

Buffettology by Mary Buffett (his daughter in law)

The little book that beats the market by Greenblatt

I also suggest you consider offshore vehicles.  By this I mean a company or trust set up in a tax haven.  You will not appear as director or shareholder of the company and the company or trust will have a bank account.  I suggest that you do not use a bank that is a subsidiary of a US bank or that has operations in the US.  You transfer monies to his offshore bank, but never directly - always through another country, and you instruct this bank to buy and sell shares for you.  This works well if your transaction rate is low which would be the Buffett approach.  The advantage with this offshore approach is that you are outside the tax system and your investment can compound faster; the disadvantage is that the IRS will not like it and claim you are defrauding them. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 117
Points 1,840
Stolz2525 replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 12:21 PM

Peter Griffin:

Stolz2525:

if I give 1000 dollars to EUROPAC, would that be enough for them to allow me to invest in stock market abroad?

Negatory.  I checked in with them and they don't seem to want to deal with any less than 5000-6000 at a time.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS