Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

So... this just happened at my old public school...

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:58 PM

THIS is what actually goes on in public schools:

Rock paper scissors fight:

http://www.facebook.com/v/391174210836

Not only is this highly amusing, but also highly indicative of the actual learning that goes on in even the best schools we have.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,150

At the public school I went to we normally just stabbed each other or for fun threw bins that were on fire at people. My brother was thrown through a 2nd floor window. He did not have too many of his bones broken.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 11:49 AM

What is so bad about it?  Kids need to play, even highschool ones.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

You went to Poly?  You know, H.L. Mencken went there as well.  I also live a few blocks from there...

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:51 PM

Yeah, I watched this video and enjoyed the community spirit of everyone there. So what if it wasn't intellectually challenging? It was good-natured play.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 2:23 PM

proxyamenra:

At the public school I went to we normally just stabbed each other or for fun threw bins that were on fire at people. My brother was thrown through a 2nd floor window. He did not have too many of his bones broken.

Detroit?

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:01 PM

Bogart - I agree, but the problem is that things like these happened all the time. My Spanish class, for example, consisted of 80% of the kids just making fun of the teacher to her face for her accent.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:14 PM

Just noting, nobody was being put down in this video; they were mocking rivals fighting seriously, only playing a lighthearted game of chance. Making fun of a teacher is a whole different thing. And so is being forced to do schoolwork against one's will. I'd rather see a school full of students doing things like in the video above than being forced to do things the adults consider beneficial.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS