Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

US Daily Index

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 630
zg7666 posted on Sat, Jan 12 2013 4:53 PM

Any thoughts on this  US Daily Index , by MIT ??   Is there any truth to it... I see that they do not include prices of services which would do some correction upwards , but is that all? I would appreciate  any thoughts.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Answered (Verified) Bogart replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 10:58 AM
Verified by zg7666

My thought is that this is yet another improvement on identifying symptoms of a problem and will only hurt in addressing the obvious problem itself.  The problem is clear:  The governments of the WORLD lead by the one in the USA are creating new money and/or credit not backed by savings.  THIS IS INFLATION!!  Looking at daily/hourly/continuous prices is looking at symptoms of inflation.

But what is really bad is that the effects of inflation are all negative in the long run economy and this looking at symptoms will only lead the people like those in the Fed, Krugman, etc to spout their something for nothing (non)economic concepts.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Answered (Verified) Bogart replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 10:58 AM
Verified by zg7666

My thought is that this is yet another improvement on identifying symptoms of a problem and will only hurt in addressing the obvious problem itself.  The problem is clear:  The governments of the WORLD lead by the one in the USA are creating new money and/or credit not backed by savings.  THIS IS INFLATION!!  Looking at daily/hourly/continuous prices is looking at symptoms of inflation.

But what is really bad is that the effects of inflation are all negative in the long run economy and this looking at symptoms will only lead the people like those in the Fed, Krugman, etc to spout their something for nothing (non)economic concepts.

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 630
zg7666 replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 9:56 PM

Right, I understand. Inflation is expansion of monetary supply. 
Funny thing though, I got  US Daily Index from a neo-Keynesian :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:27 PM

Did you ask the person if they thought there was any value or validity to the index? I am curious as to why they even brought this up.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 630
zg7666 replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 1:29 PM

Sorry, haven't seen this. Yes, he argued that this Index goes somewhat hand to hand with official numbers, as I was showing shadowstats date...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS