Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Isn't a standing military a form of gun control?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
No2statism Posted: Sun, Jan 13 2013 3:20 PM

Is it the worst form of gun control?

What are some sources that back the notion up that  America suffers from more gun control than any other nation?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:20 PM

Yes, because gun control is misnamed.  Gun Control is the giving of a monopoly in the possession and use of firearms to government approved institutions while taking away that same ability from the populace of individuals.

Stefan Moleneux talks about gun control in this manner.

My opionion is that the whole debate is wrong on all sides except the private property rights side.  Guns and bullets are items of property.  People in a free society can trade for property as long as they do not violate the property of others.  So any argument about the Second Ammendment or about personal safety or sportsmanship are not getting to the details which is the right of individuals to own property, any property.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 52
Points 1,190
Egon replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:34 AM

No2statism, do you believe that a standing army is a form of gun control?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015
Lady Saiga replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:59 AM

I agree with Bogart, but we unfortunately live in a society that submitted to the creation of a Fed.  The Bill of Rights is a sort of safety valve designed to ensure that the power doesn't fall too far into the government's hands.  So it's an irrational document, but it's the way this society has chosen to preserve some power for the people.  It's all we've got...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:58 PM

i don't think a standing army is gun control. a standing army does not regulation to take away the ability to own arms.

regulation on arms is a form of gun control.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

cab21:

i don't think a standing army is gun control. a standing army does not regulation to take away the ability to own arms.

regulation on arms is a form of gun control.

Where does the standing army acquire the funds to purchase guns?

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 10:26 PM

some methods a army can aquire funds include service fees, bonds, donations, stock, borrowing, mining, directing revenue from other areas of government services. selling weapons and technology.

if if want to go taxes= money control=gun control, sure. then of course any coercive force is property control and guns are property so gun control would be included.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

cab21:

some methods a army can aquire funds include service fees, bonds, donations, stock, borrowing, mining, directing revenue from other areas of government services. selling weapons and technology.

if if want to go taxes= money control=gun control, sure. then of course any coercive force is property control and guns are property so gun control would be included.

You do realize that service fees, bonds, donations, stock, borrowing, mining, directing revenue from other areas of government services, and selling weapons and technology = taxation, right?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:14 PM

sure,  mcdondalds is charging taxes when they sell a hamburger.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

cab21:

sure,  mcdondalds is charging taxes when they sell a hamburger.

McDonald's forces me to give them my money?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 11:39 PM

i was not refering to the current usa army, but a way for a army to be raised without forcing someone to give money.

nothing i mentioned forced you to pay money, i was not suggesting everyone be forced to pay service fees, i meant services would be offered that people can choose to pay for.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 134
Points 2,155
Bill replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:35 AM

Mcdonalds is forced to be a tax collector. They aren't charging you. They are passing the forced extortion on to you.  Mcdonalds doesn't profit in this exchange. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 1:18 PM

part of mcdonalds price is tax, not 100%, and yes they profit from the part that is not tax collection,

the theoretical i am talking about is without taxes, any business still charges for service.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

@ Egon:  Yes.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS