Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Skipping breakfast?

rated by 0 users
This post has 48 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 1:23 PM

And some of us probably need to be eaten. It's the primal way.

No doubt - Let's set some Predator drones on Obama's ass and see whether he survives or not... if he doesn't, well, it's only fair... and if he does, why, he'll be much healthier, wiser and full of appreciation for life... his own as well as the lives of those in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and wherever else he regularly authorizes drone strikes.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 1:36 PM

Well the main reason you gave in your post for why milk is bad was that most people are lactose intolerant, but if he is not one of them, then why should that affect him? 

I don't see a compelling argument against milk  by Mark Sisson except that most commercial milk comes from cows eating grains and subject to all kind of artiificial crap.  I can buy into that.   But organic whole milk by grass fed cows?  What is wrong with that?  

He generally discourages milk consumption.

My point in pointing out lactose intolerance is that:

a) It shows that lactose tolerance has a specific function... the consumption of mother's milk during infancy and perhaps very young childhood

b) As a corollary, it shows that the ordinary adult body* wants to suppress the consumption of milk after a certain point.

I can't find any cites right now, but I recall reading about infantilizing effects (increased docility, servility) as a result of milk consumption. I speculate that this might be why the ordinary adult body wants to stop milk consumption - infantile behaviors are no longer adaptive.

Clayton -

*In countries where dairy cows have not been domesticated over many generations... in some European countries, lactose tolerance is as high as 90%... but this is merely the exception that proves the rule...

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 990

Your first points seems to imply that there is only one kind of lactose, however there is a stark difference between human lactose and bovine lactose.
50% of the Hadza population are lactose(bovine) tolerant - with no history of domesticating cattle whut?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 8:46 PM

Got any sources on these two kinds of lactose? I'm not finding anything on the web. Wikipedia doesn't mention different kinds of lactose, nor show different chemical structures.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 11:41 PM

Since this has stopped being a thread on rock n' roll and turned into a topic on milk I have a question.

Are there special dangers in relation to mass produced milk from cows that give like 30 liters of milk per day and what not? Do they stuff them full of special hormones which you then consume with milk that will make you grow gargantum breasts and ergo look silly?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I would think so.

I only drink Raw milk from grass fed cows. Costs a bit but for me its its quite worth it.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:49 AM

Raw milk just tastes so much better then the mass produced rice water that you usually see at most grocery stores.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:16 PM

Are there special dangers in relation to mass produced milk from cows that give like 30 liters of milk per day and what not?

Depends on what you mean by dangers. There is a difference between pasteurized milk and milk that hasn't had its enzymes destroyed. There is also a difference between A1 and A2 milk.

Do they stuff them full of special hormones which you then consume with milk that will make you grow gargantum breasts and ergo look silly?

Look silly? Pfff, you'll never have to buy drinks in any bar you go to again.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Generally speaking, it's good for the metabolism, energy, and focus needed for the day.  As always, a good diet can be related to feeling better in general both physically and mentally.

I think if one can be up for about an hour or two before they have to do anything it's for the best.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS