Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Questions about Drugs Legalization

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 73
Points 2,395
LandJ Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:54 AM

As far as I am concerned libertarianism suggests legalization and trade of all drugs. Does this means that pharmacies will sell drugs only with doctors' prescriptions? If yes, black market drugs will not decline because people with no prescription will demand drugs on black market. Right?

Another question is, will the legalization and trade of drugs decrease the number of people using them? If yes, how? Could you explain to me, please?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Does this means that pharmacies will sell drugs only with doctors' prescriptions?

How does it follow? Some pharmacies may choose to insist on seeing prescriptions issued by persons having some certification, but I doubt this will give them an edge on other pharmacies.

Another question is, will the legalization and trade of drugs decrease the number of people using them? If yes, how? Could you explain to me, please?

Are you talking about medicinal drugs or recreational?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 9:59 AM

Absolutely, the whole medical-pharmacy-FDA complex must be destroyed to allow people to have enough freedom to choose their care.  There is no reason for the prescription program other than to give prescribers more money at the expense of the rest of society.

We do not know how individuals will use previously prescribed or illegal chemicals and procedures as we do not know how this will change the use of these chemicals.  For example, I expect the use of the relatively benign drug marijuana to expand as people switch from harder drugs, crazy brain altering chemicals, dangerous anti-inflammation drugs, alcohol, etc.

But the benefits to ending the prescription-FDA complex and the War on Drugs, really War on Marijuana, would be that instead of having society support the massive law enforcement-legal-prison industrial complex centered around marijuana, 700000 possession arrests per year and 2/3 of the adult federal prison population, these people would have their labor released to be of use to society as a benefit.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS