Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Stirnerite portrayed in a movie

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 4:21 PM

Stirerite and Freudian psychoanalyst, Otto Gross, is portrayed in the movie called "A Dangerous Method". 

I haven't seen the movie (nor do I intend to), but I hear the few scenes he is in he steals, so that's kind of cool I guess even if the dude was nutter butters.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 4:27 PM

Rather an unclear thread in terms of direction don't you think?

Anyway, I liked the movie. It was more of a movie about Jung's personal life more than anything else. I didn't think too much about the Gross character (beyond the fact that he was a total player). I might have liked the movie a little more if I found Keira Knightley really attractive... What? Spoilers? Definitely not.

Also Jung totally looks like Hayek in the movie. Just saying.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Fine: title changed to "Strinerite portrayed in film", and I guess he wasn't as scene stealing as I thought

are you happy now that you rained on my parade twice in one thread?  This is going in my diary.

I actully heard the flick was filled with Jungian / Freudian archtypes and played as a type of Psychoanalytic "parable" ex: Freud = Superego, Jung = Ego, Gross = Id

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 4:57 PM

"are you happy now that you rained on my parade twice in one thread?  This is going in my diary."

Mine too.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

...Wait a sec!

Keira Knightly not attractive!  I've gone from writing about you in my diary to putting you on my list.  You're asking for Trouble, with a capital "T".

And what the hell am I doing thinking about Hayek, Stirner and Gross while you make such a comment about "The Duchess of Devonshire" (as portrayed in "The Duchess").  This thread deserves some serious psychoanalysis.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

Gross was played by Vincent Cassel in the movie, who pretty much always steals the scenes he's in.

I don't recall if Gross's influences are mentioned - perhaps Stirner was name-checked, and I missed it - but he's mostly portrayed as a gluttonous libertine.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:01 PM

I prefer my women a little more... Foxy...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

At first I thought you were saying that in the scenes that Gross is portrayed in, he actually commits theft (like some sort of Hollywood stab at Stirner's "egoist anarchism").

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Well gross was a bit of a gluttonous libertine.

That said I wouldn't expect Stirner's name to be name dropped - I think mentioning obscure philosophers out thf the blue would lead to some confusion with an audience (you could probably name more common names like Nietzsche or de Sade if it serves a plot point) - I just found it interesting a very obvious and self confessed Stirnerite was portrayed.

Frankly, I was a bit shocked Otto Gross was in the movie, I always thought he was really obscure

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS