Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Can someone correct my article and/or refer me to sources?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775
Sukrit posted on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:04 PM

I wrote this for a recent article:

"In any case, the much vaunted ‘independence’ of the RBA is greatly exaggerated. The three most powerful groups in Australian society are the government, unions and banks, and all three have attempted to influence the Bank in ways that benefit themselves. What all three groups have in common is a desire for low interest rates and an increased flow of credit. Governments have used central banks as their personal printing press to create money to finance wars and Keynesian stimulus packages; banks prefer low rates as it enables them to increase profits and unions like low rates because it temporarily boosts the competitiveness of their own workers by devaluing the dollar."

I'm trying to get some sources for the last sentence. Why do unions like low rates? How exactly do low rates increase bank profits?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Usually, you write articles after you have looked over the sources and know what you are talking about.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

So let me get this straight...you wrote an article, made a bunch of claims, and are now here asking us to support them for you?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:20 PM

Given the responses, I'm not sure the people around here are the sharpest tools in the shed, it's probably best I do my own digging around the site.

I shouldn't have to break this down but, obviously the article hasn't been published yet. I won't put that para in until I find peer-reviewed sources, there's nothing factually inaccurate I just wanted to go more in depth. I have a few newspaper articles saying the same thing.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:57 PM

"Given the responses, I'm not sure the people around here are the sharpest tools in the shed, it's probably best I do my own digging around the site.

I shouldn't have to break this down but, obviously the article hasn't been published yet."

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

the article hasn't been published yet.

That doesn't make a differrence.  The point is that you are making claims without being able to source them.  Reading source material is step one.  How did you get all the way to the editing stage without

you know what

forget it.

Good luck with that shit.

one more thing,

Governments have used central banks as their personal printing press to create money to finance wars and Keynesian stimulus packages; banks prefer low rates as it enables them to increase profits and unions like low rates because it temporarily boosts the competitiveness of their own workers by devaluing the dollar."

It shouldn't be hard to cite that.  It's also terribly worded and horribly polemic.  You need to familiarize yourself with what you want to write about before you write about it.  This is why i have no faith in you people.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

This is why i have no faith in you people.

Racist?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

^

Both comments made me lol.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Not Ranked
Male
17 Posts
Points 325
Suggested by Christopher

Come on guys. Do you think it's good for the cause to flame a guy just for this!!!? The guy is clearly a good guy. He's not a troll; give him the benefit of the doubt.

So, Sukri, scan Rothbard's "What Has Government Done To Our Money" for more detail. But I would say briefly, that the trade unions want monetary inflation because it raises the exchange rate for the local currency - foreigners can buy more of the local currency than before - and so the world-relative prices of local products look lower, and more exports occur, thereby promoting the hiring of union labour for those exported goods. The unions don't want to lower their members' wages to compete globally because it makes unions look, so this is an under-the-table way for them to get their members employeed without wage decreases.

This is a temporary situation however. As the nation's prices adjust up to the new money over time, the union members demand pay increases to combat cost-of-living increases. This makes them less competitive globally. And, they're back at the start calling for more monetary expansion.

I say there's little direct causal correlation between interest rates and bank profit, or at least that it's case-by-case, but I will say long-running low interest rates cause banks to look to more risky ways of making money and are thus more prone to failure and bailout by the state.

Top 500 Contributor
267 Posts
Points 5,370

I'm not so convinced unions and banks benefit from artificially low interest rates... really no one should want them because of the damage they wreck on the economy.  i guess politicians seeking re-election would be the main benefactors, or people who can time the boom and bust

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:51 PM

I'm not so convinced unions and banks benefit from artificially low interest rates

Why do they take the money?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS