Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

where do you prefer to read?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Thu, Feb 14 2013 4:20 PM

Just curious where you folks prefer to do your reading: either for work or pleasure.

The bed, in a study, somewhere public like a library / cafe, public transport, the shitter?

Not too sure i I have a favorite spot, though the can is comforting as is the bed.  If it's not too crowded public transport can be useful as well.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 4:28 PM

Lol I like this thread.

Either at a library or in my home at my desk. I can't read in loud areas.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I just have to comment on how much I love that you can actually ask a question like this and the forum members will actually have an answer.

(i.e. they actually read.)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Interesting thought, now that you bring up reading at your desk at home.  I think that's anathema to me.

I usually either like sitting / walking ( I pace and read sometimes) while holding a book, or if I have to have a lot of cross references (so more for serious studying) I'll spread the material on a large table - which is the closest I come to reading at a desk.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 4:46 PM

"walking ( I pace and read sometimes) while holding a book,"

Do you really not have trouble reading like that?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 151
Points 2,705

"Do you really not have trouble reading like that?"

Haha, I see people in Manhattan walking on the sidewalk and reading during rush hour and I have the same reaction as you.

As for my preferred reading location, I like a nice reclining chair at home or in a quiet bookstore, preferably under a warm incandescent lamp. The bed is nice too but that always ends up hurting my back.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

If I am egaged in anything I find interesting (conversation, a book, thought, anything other than sex or movies) I usually have to walk around at some point.  I'm kind of an obsessive walker.  It's hard for me to think of any intellectual/ or worthwhile activity without incorperating some type of motion which helps me focus (sex obviously included in this one, still no on the movie watching though).  That stated while I can read on the subway or bus - I can't read so well in a car.

@JJ

Even if there aren't many readers here - it's still probably more than at ALL, revleft or most political sites where a dude watches Michael Moore / Morgan Spurlock / the Daily Show / anti Wal Mart documentaries and than gets told and reenforced by his "groovy" Sociology prof he is being a good open minded intellectual for doing so.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 5:09 PM

I usually read on my computer or phone. If it's my phone, I could be anywhere. I occassionally read a physical book, and when I do I usually read lying down in bed.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 5:16 PM

"some type of motion which helps me focus (sex obviously included in this one"

Epic statement is epic.

With that said I really think you should work on combining your two interests there...

@gotlucky

I read in bed occasionally but I get uncomfortable pretty quickly, partly because there's no way to get my head in a position where my neck doesn't hurt after a little while... I can prop it up with pillows but they always shift after a little while and its a pain to get them back into position...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 5:19 PM

Well I read facing down. I guess it can get hard on the elbows, but I don't usually do hours long marathons when reading anyway.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 5:20 PM

usually about 18 inches away from, and facing towards, the text.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 5:21 PM

"usually about 18 inches away from, and facing towards, the text."

Damn you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

"I read in bed occasionally but I get uncomfortable pretty quickly, partly because there's no way to get my head in a position where my neck doesn't hurt after a little while... I can prop it up with pillows but they always shift after a little while and its a pain to get them back into position..."

I suggest getting what I have: a seat cushion designed purely for sitting on the bed in an upright description.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

vive la insurrection:
Even if there aren't many readers here - it's still probably more than at ALL, revleft or most political sites where a dude watches Michael Moore / Morgan Spurlock / the Daily Show / anti Wal Mart documentaries and than gets told and reenforced by his "groovy" Sociology prof he is being a good open minded intellectual for doing so.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to make that comment.  My entire point was that this is actually one place on the Internet in which it's a pretty safe bet that the visitors actually do read (let alone enough to have a "preferred place" to do so).

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

oh my bad, I obviously missed the point - plus I hate sociology teachers, so any chance I get, I take.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS