Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Jury Duty: Is there a conscientious objection loophole? Is there a way out of it?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename Posted: Fri, Feb 15 2013 10:20 PM

This is an admitedly practical post, since I'm trying to get out of jury duty myself, but I suppose it has potential to help others too.

So is there a conscientious objector clause to this or is there not?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 11:15 PM

Why oh why would you want to get out of being a juror? It's a chance to be there to stop any possible abuse of the law by refusing to convict. If you really want out, just mention the magic words "jury nullification" and there's no chance you'll be kept on. Of course given that you post here, you'll very likely not make the selection process anyway.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

I told the judge that very thing, as a matter of fact. I didn't believe in the system, that the state had any business asserting itself part of the conflict between an individual having claimed loss and the accused having already compensated them through insurance by creating a non-crime of having a substance, at an amount unacceptable by the law, in his bloodstream. She was not amused. Thus, I was.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 8:08 AM

Blargg:
Why oh why would you want to get out of being a juror? It's a chance to be there to stop any possible abuse of the law by refusing to convict. If you really want out, just mention the magic words "jury nullification" and there's no chance you'll be kept on. Of course given that you post here, you'll very likely not make the selection process anyway.

My time is more valuable to me then to have it wasted in any way, shape, or form by the state. Showing up in their house and running your mouth doesn't prove anything, in my opinion. They simply ask you to leave and choose the next guy or gal. I think if more people blew them off, it would be more effective; a peaceful protest if you will.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

People haven't ignored jury duty for decades? If that worked, jury duty shouldn't even exist anymore!
I'm not part of the movement or anything, but I tend to confront my aggressors. Not hide from them. Not to mention at least 30 people were introduced to the concept that an opposition to the idea of the court system exists. They also watched someone tell ajudge her job is a joke.

And I got a funny story out of it. Dipshit cop working the metal detector was literally threatened and questioned me about... my "serious boots".

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

This is an admitedly practical post, since I'm trying to get out of jury duty myself, but I suppose it has potential to help others too.

So is there a conscientious objector clause to this or is there not?

You could just not send it back?  Sure, it says it is a crime to do that, but I sent my last one back the day after it was due and put : "No; student"

JD is a joke.  Only the sappiest people actually go to do it and that is why our legal system sucks (among other things).

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS