Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why is It ok to Own an Animal, but not a Human?

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Thu, Feb 21 2013 1:31 PM

Why would it be ok to own, say a chimp, but not own a human?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 1:34 PM

But What About Voluntary Slaves?

Voluntary Slavery and Lawful Consent

There are also good discussions in the comments.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 2:20 PM

"

But What About Voluntary Slaves?

Voluntary Slavery and Lawful Consent"

I don't understand?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

I would say because the chimp can't stand up and say you don't own me. And, if my pets get out, i actually do let them go. They usually come back.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 2:33 PM

"I don't understand?"

Those are links to things that Clayton has written regarding the matter of human ownership. I am therefore making a massive assumption and assuming that he thinks reading those would answer your question.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Why would it be ok to own, say a chimp, but not own a human?

What are your own opinions on the subject?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:30 PM

Why is ok to throw a rock and not a human?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:30 PM

That's a loaded question, Wheylous.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:42 PM

Thus, it is OK to throw Wheylous because he is not human.

QED

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Kant tackles this issue all over in his ethical and moral writings.

Rational beings are not to be treated as means, but only as ends (thus they are both the legislator and interpretor or universal laws - namely that humans are rational beings).  Animals do not have the ability to think rationally (they only act on impulse) thus they cannot conceive of moral living (they cannot universalize their maxims of choice to universal laws) and aren't "rational."  You can disagree with this, but that is Kant's distinction between the human animal and the average animal and it has had some staying power in the intellectual realm.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 8:40 PM

Probably for the same reason that it is ok to kill and eat an animal where it's not in regards to humans.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Feb 22 2013 8:28 AM

"What are your own opinions on the subject?"

I think it is wrong to own a chimp. 

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

What if this chimp prefers to live in a loving human home than in the wild?

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

limitgov:

"What are your own opinions on the subject?"

I think it is wrong to own a chimp. 

I think that it is foolish to own a champ - cats and dogs not so much.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Depends what the ownership entails I suppose. Are we talking about having a chimp as a pet, or owning a chimp so it can do chores around the house and sweep chimneys?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Are we talking about having a chimp as a pet, or owning a chimp so it can do chores around the house and sweep chimneys?

Why can't that be both?  Why can't you have a dog that is a pet and that herds sheep?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Why can't that be both?  Why can't you have a dog that is a pet and that herds sheep?

That's a very good point. Sheepdogs love to herd though, so I suppose it all depends whether the work being done is in the animals nature. Not sure I would like to see a dog being forced to work, if such a thing would be possible.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:51 AM

Consumariat:
That's a very good point. Sheepdogs love to herd though, so I suppose it all depends whether the work being done is in the animals nature. Not sure I would like to see a dog being forced to work, if such a thing would be possible.

Before dogs were used to herd sheep by man, was it in their nature to herd sheep anyway? Did man witness a dog herding sheep on its own and got this idea or did man have to train the dog to herd sheep?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:50 PM

"Probably for the same reason that it is ok to kill and eat an animal where it's not in regards to humans"

What about people in a permanent vegetative state? Can we nibble on them?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 2:33 PM

I would totally buuld a chimney just to see a chimp sweeping it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

If were being idealistic, I would say because most people aren't as bat shit crazy as hippies and intellectuals.

Back in the old good ol' pagan days they would own both, starve the animal and feed their human slave to it, than eat the animal; all for a good day's shits and giggles with merley the sentiment that it was better to be a master than a slave.  Now instead of being pagans, everyone wants to be some uselss busy body mystic moralizer.  I can't say for certain what era would be worse to live in - but I can certainly say what era is more annoying.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Back in the old good ol' pagan days they would own both, starve the animal and feed their human slave to it, than eat the animal;

Do you mean they would own both people and animals?  and when you say "than eat the animal" do you mean that they would rather feed their human slave to the animal than eat the animal?  Or did you mean that they would feed their human slave to the animal then eat it (presumably for shits and giggles)?

How can you say that the pagans weren't mystic moralizers?  Pythagoras, ahem, ...?  Pythagoras was a vegetarian, a mystic moralizer, and he wouldn't let his proteges eat beans.  i don't know if your statement was meant to contrast the mystic moralizing of kant with the likes of greek pagans, but Pythagoras is both so...ultimately I'm not sure your what you are trying to say...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 6:08 PM

The post above perfectly demonstrates vive's point.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 7:02 PM

Crazy Coot:
What about people in a permanent vegetative state? Can we nibble on them?

Nope. But I don't believe that animals are in a permanent vegetative state. Do you?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Do you mean they would own both people and animals?  and when you say "than eat the animal" do you mean that they would rather feed their human slave to the animal than eat the animal?  Or did you mean that they would feed their human slave to the animal then eat it (presumably for shits and giggles)?

They would own both - and eat the animal.  All of them did this all the time, every day - no exceptions.

As for the main point, it's probably nothing outside of a very superficial Nietzchean, Feuerbachian, Stirnerite look on things.  And to further the quip here's Fritz:

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial"

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

They would own both - and eat the animal.  All of them did this all the time, every day - no exceptions.

So, you meant THEN.  NOT THAN.  That is what I thought....then is temporal; than is comparative.

and also, "except for the vegetarians of the time."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I don't understand the last part of statement - there were no vegetarians, just pagans who ate animals fed off the meat of their slaves.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

And I'm telling you that the Pythagoreans didn't eat animals...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 8:25 PM

"What if this chimp prefers to live in a loving human home than in the wild?"

then you wouldn't have to ensalve him or own him, it would be voluntary.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 8:27 PM

"Depends what the ownership entails I suppose. Are we talking about having a chimp as a pet, or owning a chimp so it can do chores around the house and sweep chimneys?"

I guess I'm talking about owning an animal, in that you can just sell it to another person at the drop of a hat.  Let's say, take a baby animal away from its mother and sell it to someone else.

Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

Just curious, are you a vegan? Even the Hindus own animals as property and at one time the ancestors of domestic animals were wild animals snatched from nature. One could make an argument that owning animals is necessary to human health and domestic animals are better off for being owned (Hindus are vegetarians no vegans)

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 1:39 PM

"just curious, are you a vegan?"

No.  I eat animals.  And use animal products and take my kids to go see locked up animals.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 317
Points 6,805
dude6935 replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 2:29 PM

From another, similar thread:

We've had quite a few threads on animal rights in the past. The defining distinction is the ability to argue. If someone or something is not able to argue (e.g. a young child, a senile person, a comatose person, a mentally retarded person, an insane person, etc.), then they are a legal non-entity, that is, they are not able to "stand at law". They are incompetent. Hence, in order for them to have rights, someone who can stand at law (competent) must be willing to advocate on behalf of the incompetent individual.

However, we must be clear that, in terms of "rights", the advocate is only ever speaking of his own rights. For example, let's say Alice beats her dog. Let's say that Bob decides to become a legal advocate for Alice's dog. Bob sues Alice and claims that her beating of the dog is unlawful. The only basis on which Bob can make this claim is that he must show how Alice is violating his rights in the dog's welfare. This means he must show that he actually has such rights. -Clayton

http://mises.org/community/forums/t/32512.aspx?PageIndex=1
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 2:36 PM

"

We've had quite a few threads on animal rights in the past. The defining distinction is the ability to argue. If someone or something is not able to argue (e.g. a young child, a senile person, a comatose person, a mentally retarded person, an insane person, etc.), then they are a legal non-entity, that is, they are not able to "stand at law". They are incompetent. Hence, in order for them to have rights, someone who can stand at law (competent) must be willing to advocate on behalf of the incompetent individual.

However, we must be clear that, in terms of "rights", the advocate is only ever speaking of his own rights. For example, let's say Alice beats her dog. Let's say that Bob decides to become a legal advocate for Alice's dog. Bob sues Alice and claims that her beating of the dog is unlawful. The only basis on which Bob can make this claim is that he must show how Alice is violating his rights in the dog's welfare. This means he must show that he actually has such rights. -Clayton"

My question should have been, is it moral to take ownership of an animal?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 317
Points 6,805
dude6935 replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 2:43 PM

My question should have been, is it moral to take ownership of an animal?

Ownership implies the right to destroy. So if you think it is morally right to destroy an animal, then it is probably right to own it, and vise versa.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 2:47 PM

"Ownership implies the right to destroy. So if you think it is morally right to destroy an animal, then it is probably right to own it, and vise versa."

I don't think it is right to destroy an animal.  I do it occasionally with insects, but I certainly don't think it is right with more intelligent animals.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 317
Points 6,805
dude6935 replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 2:57 PM

I tend to agree. I think if A and B are capable of cooperation, then they have rights with respect to one another. This is regardless of species. As long as cooperation is possible, rights exist. That is what argumentation is after all, basic cooperation.

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 990

"I don't think it is right to destroy an animal."

Do you think it is right if an animal destroys another animal?
For instance, my neighbor's dog will kill stray cats(and leave them to rot, that is he doesn't kill the cat for survival) if they happen to find themselves on the grounds.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

This conversation started on a stupid premise and now it has evolved into one of the stupidest conversations I have ever seen.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Challange:

Link 3 conversations about rights on any public political message board that aren't batshit crazy.

It can be done, but it isn't easy.

Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS