Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why is It ok to Own an Animal, but not a Human?

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 881
Points 15,030
banned replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 6:39 AM

well without a biological understanding of what governs rational faculty this is pretty much a speculative philosophy. Kant really just assumed animals cannot universalize maxims because they cannot communicate on a meaningful level with human philosophers.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

A friend posted this on their facebook page, it is very graphic the Chinese fur trade. PETA is a stupid organization though I don't see how they think they are going to stop anything

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4547148485974&set=vb.144430455596216&type=3&permPage=1

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:09 AM

"Do you think it is right if an animal destroys another animal?"

If it can be prevented, then I suppose try and prevent it.  I wouldn't kill an animal because it killed another animal, though. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:19 PM

@limitgov: WTF, are you serious?? So, I suppose, according to you, we "should" starve all lions, wolves, ant-eaters, etc. to death???

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:25 PM

"

@limitgov: WTF, are you serious?? So, I suppose, according to you, we "should" starve all lions, wolves, ant-eaters, etc. to death???

Clayton -"

I've never seen hostility from you before, Clayton.  This is unusual.  No, I would never suggest that.  I guess the context of my last answer was taken out of context.  The user was talking about an owner's dog killing a cat, or something....and I was merely thinking of that situation.  If you had a dog that was killing people's cats, you would want to prevent that from happening.

As far as nature's way, animals kill.  That is nature's way.  That is perfectly fine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:26 PM

Clayton, you are heartless. Those are violent animals, and we should ostracize them at the very least.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:27 PM

@limitgov: Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't being hostile, I was flabbergasted as I didn't realize you were restricting "animals" to mean only pets/domesticated animals.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

What do people think about inhumane butchering and skinning animals alive? In a libertarian society if a business was perceived as being unnecessarily brutal would they be embargoed, thus encouraging more humane methods.

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Page 2 of 2 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS