Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Donors step up ties with Somalia; praise rebuilding efforts

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620
shackleford Posted: Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:23 PM

All I got from this article was that central government is the solution.

http://news.yahoo.com/donors-step-ties-somalia-praise-rebuilding-efforts-004311169.html

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

I don't understand why some libertarians fetishise Somalia. Just because there's no central government it doesn't mean there aren't opressive power structures and illegitimate uses of force. Is a patchwork of warlords, pirates, and jihadi sects really such a wonderful place? Is that really what constitutes statelessness?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 2:11 AM

I don't understand why some libertarians fetishise Somalia.

Yeah, because every fucking time it's libertarians who bring up somalia.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:08 PM

I still can not get anyone to respond to my simple request that if the entire world leaves Somalia alone for 10 years.  After that time if Somalia is not the fastest and most rapidly developing country in Africa then go ahead and give them the blessings of central government and its force and violence.  Everybody knows that left alone, Somalia will become a haven for entrepreneurs, it is now, and start attracting foreign investors.  In the past several years the US Government has sponsored at least two invasions and in the previous century conducted one invasion on its own.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 11:22 PM

yarrr

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Bogart: 

I agree, I've made the same argument/defense of Somalia's statelessness being that it's a battleground for proxy wars.

However, the response is: "Well, realistically, doesn't the lack of a state create a power vacuum that will invariably lead to outside interference from nearby states, preventing Somalia (or any stateless society) from establishing its own economic infrastructure or, consequently, a privately funded defense system?"

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS