Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

"Planning is the kiss of death of entrepreneurship"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 10,295
FlyingAxe posted on Fri, Mar 1 2013 10:51 AM

I think you guys will enjoy this video. I think it has a very strong Austrian message.

http://youtu.be/chXsLtHqfdM

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990

I would like to wander around Western Australia looking to help folks.  I wonder who paid for the plane tickets, salary, living expenses, health expenses of the dude, that wasn't mentioned.  And this is really not the point.

The point is that the dude did not in the first 11 minutes, I got tired of the video after that, even mention private property rights.  How can there be any entrepreneurs without private property? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 10,295

The talk was not about property rights. There cannot be entrepreneurs without space, time, consciousness, laws of physics, and the dichotomy of good and evil either.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840

yes the concept of time, conscience, etc are necessary for an AE framework - but so is  a plan (an entrepreneur needs one) ..unless you are talking about central planning or something along those lines?

My computer is not able to play youtube right now for some reason, so i couldn't watch the video.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

I agree that having a plan is a must.

One could argue that coming up with a detailed and rigid plan upfront, and then failing to adapt it is the kiss of death, but having absolutely no plan (however high-level) means having no idea, no clue - this is equally bad.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840

I'm just saying a plan is epistemologicaly necessary for AE to work (there is a logic of sucess, etc.). What kind of planning, etc was beyond the scope of anything I was trying to convey.  Things don't just "manifest" and get naively, mechanically utilized.

Either way, as I stated - I did not watch the video, so I don't want to distract from anything the OP wishes to discuss

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 10,295

Did you guys watch the video? He is describing the misesian calculation problem, which can be encountered by philantropists trying to help entrepreneurs as well.

Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 11:44 AM

Take a look at the video.  I think the statement "Planning is the kiss of death of entreprenuership" is not true as written.  Rather the mistake is planning without sufficient knowledge.  Instead of not planning, the presenter talks about how a change of strategy helped.  Its not that he stopped planning, but would form plans by actually getting to know people and investigating where they needed help, rather than coming in with a prepackaged plan that may not be workable.

Schools are labour camps.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

eliotn:
Its not that he stopped planning, but would form plans by actually getting to know people and investigating where they needed help, rather than coming in with a prepackaged plan that may not be workable.
Yes, that is what he said. And it is one reason why business school is a "kiss of death". B-school students study successful companies and then go out and attempt to recreate these business, but eventual fail. They say, "a-ha! so this is how a successfull company is", and then conclude, "this is how it must be." But they pay very little attention to what the market actually wants.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 100 Contributor
871 Posts
Points 21,030

DanielMuff:

eliotn:
Its not that he stopped planning, but would form plans by actually getting to know people and investigating where they needed help, rather than coming in with a prepackaged plan that may not be workable.
Yes, that is what he said. And it is one reason why business school is a "kiss of death". B-school students study successful companies and then go out and attempt to recreate these business, but eventual fail. They say, "a-ha! so this is how a successfull company is", and then conclude, "this is how it must be." But they pay very little attention to what the market actually wants.

Thats a great insight.

Schools are labour camps.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS