Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why not ban usury?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 46 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
372 Posts
Points 8,230
Buzz Killington posted on Sun, Mar 3 2013 6:09 PM

I assume libertarians are opposed to banning usury.

Why?

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
  • | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Can you define what you mean by "usury"?

I ask because I traditionally thought it only meant interest, but I have recently seen it used to describe other forms of income as well.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

Libertarians are opposed to prohibiting loaning money at interest because banning it would violate the NAP.

Banning the earning of interest also would distort the market since people would get artificially cheap credit.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775
Suggested by MaikU

The word "Usury" involves a moral judgement, saying that some rate of interest or some kind of loan is morally reprehensible.

A libertarian would argue that since the two parties involved in the loan agree voluntarily to the terms of the loan, and in their opinion it's morally OK, that a third party should have no right to violently impose his morality upon them.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

I'm actually coming to the view that contracts that are based on compound interest per se are ill-formed contractual arrangements in that there is not actually a single, agreed price. The cascading scale of defaulting prices upon non-payment implied in compound interest contracts are exploitative because a) they result in absurd sums very rapidly[1] and b) the terms of such instruments are invariably favorable to the wealthy, a sure sign that they are a symptom of the parasitic social order, not the natural social order. The underlying presumption of compound interest - that money is exponentially valuable in time - is actually false.

Islamic banking provides a set of instruments that I think accomplish the same purpose as compound interest contracts purport to accomplish - without the potential for layering debt upon debt and other forms of exploitation through fraud and financial subtlety. For example, Murabah is more like rent-to-own. Pawning is also another way to secure debt. Co-signing is yet another way. Until very recently, the legal machinery for implementing such ill-defined contracts simply did not exist... in other words, there is a symbiosis between compound interest creditors and Leviathan as a mechanism for making possible such contracts.

So, what about "growth"? What about the "modern, post-Industrial economy", along with its inexorable economic growth? Isn't compound interest just a natural phenomenon that has organically emerged out of the fact of growth? When you look at the historical emergence of central banking vis-a-vis the emergence of compound interest as a common form of structuring credit, you can't help but notice that central banking emerged first. This should automatically send up red-flags. There is no a priori reason why credit should be an inherently compounding process (in mathematical terms, a "geometric series" or "exponential process"). Yet there is an a priori reason why devaluation/inflation is an inherently compounding process: every time you print money, the money pool is that much bigger... to draw a constant percentage of real value from the money pool, it is not enough to print the same nominal amount of money YoY, you must increase every year the amount of money you print by a constant ratio. The constant ratio is precisely what creates the condition for a geometric series or compounding. So, the true motivation for compound interest is not any natural market demand for it but, rather, in order to camouflage the action of the central banking system behind the private production of compound interest credit, a purportedly natural process that has organically emerged in the free market.

This view is my own and I don't know of even any Austrians who hold this view.

Clayton -

[1] "$100 borrowed at 10% interest rate" sounds reasonable on its face... you have to pay back $110 in one year or $121 in two years, etc. But left unpaid for 100 years, this would be a $1.4M obligation... and the next year it would be a $1.54M obligation, etc.

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
267 Posts
Points 5,370

Because the imposition of a maximum price on interest (i.e. usury laws) will result in credit being denied to high risk borrowers (or more likely, their needs being met on the black market where even higher interest rates must be charged).

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 500 Contributor
267 Posts
Points 5,370

Yeah, but Clayton ; in the long run we're all dead.  By the time that 10% interest rate loan comes to maturity I'm long dead, so they can bill me whatever they please at that point.

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

@Meistro: That's beside the point. The point is that what began as a $100 obligation balloons into absurd numbers, not because "that's what was agreed to" - of course people are free to negotiate any price they like between themselves - but because humans are extraordinarily bad at exponential arithmetic. Most people pay close to 2x the sticker price for an automobile because they buy it on credit... by the time you add up all the interest, the total purchase price comes out to nearly 2x. But they don't think it through, they just say "Oh, 8% isn't that much". But it isn't just 8%... it's 8% on 8% on 8% on 8% on 8% on $25,000 (annuitized over 5 years or however many years the loan is). Some States have laws to try to rectify this by giving the consumer the total package price, etc. but the fact is that that's like putting your finger in the crack of a leaking dam... the point is that everybody buys cars for that price, so of course, that's what the Joneses will pay to have a car. In other words, my view is that it's not an accident that things like car loans are the way they are. It's an interlocking, interconnected system. It's pure evil.

Clayton -

Top 150 Contributor
618 Posts
Points 10,170

What contracts are based on compound interest?  No bank lending is based on compound interest.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

In defense of compound interest:

From Wikipedia:

History

Compound interest was once regarded as the worst kind of usury, and was severely condemned by Roman law, as well as the common laws of many other countries.[2]

In one passage, the Bible addresses the charging of interest in the following manner:

Take no usury or interest from him; but fear your God, that your brother may live with you. You shall not lend him your money for usury, nor lend him your food at a profit.

The Qur'an explicitly mentions compound interest as a great sin. Usury (oppressive interest), known in Arabic as "riba", is considered wrong:

O ye who believe! Devour not usury, doubling and quadrupling (the sum lent). Observe your duty to Allah, that ye may be successful.

Quran 3:130

Richard Witt's book Arithmeticall Questions, published in 1613, was a landmark in the history of compound interest. It was wholly devoted to the subject (previously called anatocism), whereas previous writers had usually treated compound interest briefly in just one chapter in a mathematical textbook. Witt's book gave tables based on 10% (the then maximum rate of interest allowable on loans) and on other rates for different purposes, such as the valuation of property leases. Witt was a London mathematical practitioner and his book is notable for its clarity of expression, depth of insight and accuracy of calculation, with 124 worked examples.[3][4]

Point is, central banks did not exist in Roman times, or when the Bible or Kuran was written; the bank of England opened its doors in 1694. So it looks like compound interest was around way before central banks.

It may be true that people don't grasp the math of compound interest. But that just means they are signing up for a Darwin Award when they voluntarily agree to a complicated contract without sitting down to figure out what it actually says, Certainly businesses, to which the vast majoirty of loans go, understand very clearly what they are getting into.

Even people who buy cars often buy more four or more cars in their lifetime, so they get to see exactly what is going on when they buy the first one.

That everyone buys cars for that price just means that that is the market price. And if people are willing to pay that price to keep up with the Joneses, that just means the subjective value of keeping up with Joneses is very high to the car buyer. 

It's hard to declare something evil unless one shows where there is fraud or violence involved.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990

Why would anyone be for banning (Use force or the threat of force to prohibit two individuals from engaging in a voluntary transaction for mutual benefit.) anything?  All you do is deny the parties the ability to conduct mutually beneficial transactions.  So both parties are worse off and someone gets stuck with the bill for enforcing the ban.

As for Libertarians in particular, as was previously stated any use or threat of force is against the NAP AND a violation of the private property rights of the individuals.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990

And the negative consequences of prohibitions are massive and destroy people.  I was just visiting a small city in Central Mexico and there is the Federal Policia, really the army, patrolling the streets all because the insane drug war.  And what is the drug war?  It is simply prohibition of natural substances that hummanity has used for the past 10000 years that a bunch of evil and self interested parties decide to ban.

Top 150 Contributor
618 Posts
Points 10,170

In defense of compound interest:

From Wikipedia:

There are some problems with that article in Wiki: It states that compound interest is that standard in the financial industry....

But US banks use simple interest on all consumer loans, mortgages and commercial lending (there may be some unusual exceptions).  Payments are set up so that all accrued interest is paid at what ever frequency is agreed to (monthly, quarterly, etc,).  If a payment is missed the interest is not added to principal and will not accrue additional interest.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

So it looks like compound interest was around way before central banks.

But it was a very uncommon arrangement.

It may be true that people don't grasp the math of compound interest. But that just means they are signing up for a Darwin Award when they voluntarily agree to a complicated contract without sitting down to figure out what it actually says,

But how does it happen that such stupidity is so common? I'm not asking a question about population traits (why are so many people stupid) but, rather, how is it that this trait is so often expressed? For example, the willingness to commit petty theft is appallingly common. Yet there is actually not a lot of petty theft in absolute terms, compared to what there could be. This is because petty theft is punishable. So would-be petty thieves are induced to calculate - in their own terms - the costs of indulging the urge to commit a petty theft.

Yet, somehow, stupid people are not being induced to calculate the true costs of compound interest loans which they are taking out for literally everything from houses, to cars, to boats, to televisions, to dental work, to breast implants, etc. Let me put it this way and let you ponder it: the modern system of consumer credit is subtly redistributive.

Clayton - 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

But US banks use simple interest on all consumer loans, mortgages and commercial lending (there may be some unusual exceptions).  Payments are set up so that all accrued interest is paid at what ever frequency is agreed to (monthly, quarterly, etc,).  If a payment is missed the interest is not added to principal and will not accrue additional interest.

Nonsense. The annuitization of the principal amount of the loan is calculated using compounding. And while individual late payments themselves do not get added to the principal and recalculated, they incur late penalties that are far more severe than any compound interest effects would have been. Finally, if you miss several payments and the loan goes into default, all the principal and the accrued late penalties, etc. are recalculated with interest. I don't know what you're trying to pull here, saying that US banks use "simple" interest. What a bunch of bullshit.

Clayton -

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS