Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How do you prohibit stuff in a free market?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Mon, Mar 4 2013 2:31 PM

In a truly free society, how do you prohibit stuff? 

prohibit what?

anything that violatates someone else's life, liberty and property.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 4:59 PM

Ultimately violence or threat of violence.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:07 PM

uhh you cant? its a contradiction in terms. yes murder for hire will exist in ancap. its just gonna be expensive.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

In a free society, how can you limit freedom?

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

limitgov:
In a truly free society, how do you prohibit stuff?
--- by not letting it on your property.  

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:02 PM

The one fellow has the right answer.  If society respect for private property and contract, then there would be no need for prohibitions.  It is in the current situation that people use the guns of government to stop others from engaging in peaceful and consentual behaviors that do not harm others.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

You cannot prohibit anything in any circumstance. Neither in "anarcho-capitalism" nor in a soviet-style totalitarian world.

The only thing you can do is make those poor decisions taken by other people more expensive, or, equivalently, make any acceptable alternatives to those decisions cheaper.

And there are many alternatives to that, with varying effectiveness and expected costs.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history" - Dwight Schrute
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580

"yes murder for hire will exist in ancap. its just gonna be expensive."

Won't the free makret it make it really efficient and cheap?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

Won't the free market it make it really efficient and cheap?

What is generally called the "free market" is the market phenomenon characterized by a very high price for most common forms of retail and wholesale aggression.

And that's because in a cheap violence environment you expect people to employ more violence in their problem solving, including their bargains, thus making the market less "free", as trades would tend to be settle by different degrees of intimidation and sacking.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 11:00 AM

I don't think the OP was asking about a fairy tale land where not a single soul ever violates another persons rights, willingly or otherwise. I could be wrong, but I believe the question assumed normal humans (even if more libertarian than today's populace).

ToxicAssets:
You cannot prohibit anything in any circumstance.

Prohibit != prevent. You can prohibit whatever you want. Whether anyone gives a shit is a different story. In a free society there will be prohibitions, even if only against killing, stealing, and other violations of property rights.

The way you prohibit those is, ultimately, through violence or threat of violence. Direct violence may not be the first option, but the theoretical aggressor could continually say "what if I don't comply?" until you ultimately arrive at violence against their person.

What steps individuals generally agree on taking before resorting to direct violence is an empirical issue.

edit: I think a more interesting question, and one that speaks more on the replies by others, is if the market has incentive structures that promote voluntary compliance with generally libertarian principles before reaching the stage of direct violence. i.e. is it self reinforcing.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

Prohibit != prevent. You can prohibit whatever you want. Whether anyone gives a shit is a different story.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS