Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Interest Theory

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon posted on Mon, Mar 4 2013 4:18 PM

What is the most popular theory of interest in mainstream academia today? Or is there one?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355

noncognitivism.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Define interest theory

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
47 Posts
Points 610
Raoul replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 5:17 PM

I'm not sure to be up-to-date, but I would say:

1° A theory centered around the loan market ;

2° A theory which identifies two "causes" in the formation of the rate of interest, i.e., from the lender's side, the time preference, and from the borrower's side, something like "the marginal efficiency of capital" ;

3° A theory which doesn't really try to define the "essence" of interest. For example, I'm currently reading Hal Varian's intermediate textbook (Ok, it's just a textbook), and I have been amazed by the fact that in his chapter about interest the author doesn't seek at all to explain what "is" the interest.

Not a native speaker - you may correct my spelling errors.
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435

@Neo

What the nature of lending at interest is. As in, time preference, productivity of capital, labor, exploitation, Keynes' monetary phenomenon, etc. I just want to know what the dominant paradigm is.

@Raoul

So it sounds like the dominant paradigm is that interest is determind by both time preference and the marginal productivity of capital?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 500 Contributor
125 Posts
Points 1,740

In a modern neoclassical model, the interest rate is determined by both technical factors and time preference. Although some neoclassical economists may have a theory of interest, in the literature It depends on what is in the model.

For example, in a specific model of innovation and R & D, r=η/(ε − 1)*L , where η is related to the productivity of research, L is related to labor supply, and ε is the elasticity of consumer demand. In this case, although there is time preference in the model, the usual subjective factors do not affect the rate of interest.

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435

ziragt:

For example, in a specific model of innovation and R & D, r=η/(ε − 1)*L ,, where η is related to the productivity of research, L is related to labor supply, and ε is to elasticity of consumer demand. In this case, although there is time preference in the model, subjective factors do not affect the rate of interest.

Thanks for the response. Could you elaborate on this a little bit?

Land & Liberty

Top 500 Contributor
125 Posts
Points 1,740
ziragt replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:16 AM

I'll try to clarify. The model I hinted at was just a very specific example, based on what I've been working on recently, so none of the details should be taken very seriously.

In this macroeconomic model, although there is a specific time preference parameter, which more or less correlates with the Austrian concept of pure time preference,  it plays no (direct) role in determining the interest rate. This will probably not be true in most other models.

The point is just that modern theory is very eclectic when it comes to the origins of interest rates.

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435

Weird

Land & Liberty

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS