Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Spoiler alert: Chavez just died

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:17 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/hugo-chavez-fiery-venezuelan-leader-dies-58-220210262.html

Edit: Should have included a spoiler alert.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 8:37 PM

Cancer is uncool.  What else is there to say about it otherthan I think it is amazing how clueless people can be to actually believe that Chavez loved the poor and downtrodden. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I say rest in peace really only because he was a major pain in the neck for Washington. Other than that though he was another House of Cards politician.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 371
Points 5,590

Chavez was an old school political thug and an embaressing joke and constant nuisance for the more respectable latin american republics like Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Panama, Uruguay and Brazil, which have been making progress in escaping from anachronic ideologies that still linger in the region, best represented in the persona of Hugo Chavez.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history" - Dwight Schrute
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 1:08 PM

Oh yeah, Chavez's family has about $2bill banked.  So he obviously cared for the poor but managed to keep a little fee for stealing money from other folks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

This is an interesting article coming off of LewRockwell.com and from a conservative:

http://lewrockwell.com/margolis/margolis331.html

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:20 AM

Bogart:

Oh yeah, Chavez's family has about $2bill banked.  So he obviously cared for the poor but managed to keep a little fee for stealing money from other folks.

I know, damning evidence against him. What a bastard, liar, thief.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 12:23 PM

SM - a very curious article indeed. Praise for cutting the poverty rate in half over 10 years? Wow.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

This thread is leaving me a little confused due to the seemingly sarcastic nature hanging in the air.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 7:24 PM

I don't value Margolis' commentary. It is seldom in depth.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

I'm not actually familiar with the guy - I was just a little confused when I saw this on LR.com. I guess it has to do with the fact that Chavez is the new idol of the "youth sub-culture" looking to rebel against our "capitalist society" or whatever. It's become hip to view Chavez and guys like him as cool guys, and I'm sure conservatives want to play up to that.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:42 AM

Chavez represented the "new breed" of Latin American populists. While he blasted the US as the Great Satan at every turn, he kept on selling large quantities of crude oil to them. It was a symbiotic relationship with Uncle Sam: both sides blasted the other as the new Hitler and both sides kept on dealing with the other as nothing happened. For the US this meant cheap oil (shipping from Venezuela doesn't carry the costs and risks of shipping from Saudi Arabia) and for Chavez meant tons of dollars for his grandiose public works programs and his henchmen (who syphoned off something between 40 and 200 billions in oil money to off shore banking centers).

In short he was no better and no worse than many other "friends of democracy" except in his rhetorics. Had he abstained from verbally blasting the US at every turn his death would have been met with the same level of mourning as King Hussein's, the despicable Jordanian despot (remember him?).

The problem Venezuela faces now is without his charisma, the old tradition of coups and rebellions could become very real once again. Chavez himself survived a coup in 2002, mostly thanks to his popularity. His heir apparent, Vice President Maduro. has about as much charisma as a dirty sock. Since 2009 Venezuela has been locked in a "Cold War" with Colombia over the FARC issue: it's now more or less accepted Chavez armed and financed FARC insurgents and offered them sanctuary. US drones (ostensibly painted in Colombian colors but controlled by Creech AFB) have tracked FARC rebels deep inside Venezuela.

It's well possible Maduro will cut support to the FARC in a goodwill gesture towards Colombia and the US. It would be a smart move, considering FARC have committed the same errors as Sendero Luminoso and enjoy very little (if any) popular support. Also Venezuela, despite the Trotzkyte dialectics, has none of the US expertise in arranging "regime change".

Chavez may well have been the last of the "new breed" of Latin American populists, a bridge between old fashioned populists like Fidel Castro and the new, hard to catalog leaders like Evo Morales. One thing is for certain: as proven by countries such as Chile and Peru, populism is thankfully dying out in Latin America.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 8:11 AM

For that he sung them some nice songs:

Don't think he was that special for Latin America. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS