Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What college econ courses have you taken?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,389 Posts
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection posted on Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:24 PM

Just curious what you guys have college credit for.

If you're a high scholl student say what courses your school offers.

I'm about 8 years removed from my first degree, where I took all my econ classes, and I can't remember my profs names, nor do I own the books anymore but from The University of Toledo I took:

Principles of Micro (100 level course)

Pinciples of Macro (100 level course)

International Trade (200 level course)

Current Topics (or som similar name, a 200 level course)

I also took a stats class if that counts. 

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 155

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

What you are saying is that any exposure to mainstream economics turns a person's mind to mush...

Straw man, my son. You left out the key word, "may". Belongs right before the word "turns".

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Lol

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

What a bitch response.  it's not as if you really refuted the point underlying my comment.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

Shut up, mush-for-brains

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

duuhh, i red a book writed by someperson i not agree with.  derr, just pee peed on chair in I am.  Smiling Dave, can u hewp muhee standunder mmm Hayek's criticism of the analytic methodology of scientific inquiry?  I get not anything cept book that made brain mush...

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 200 Contributor
Male
371 Posts
Points 5,590

Aristophanes:
It is not that economic professors are evil.  it is that they are brainwashed.  You seem to mix the two as if they are the same.

I don't think the metaphysical distinction between a natural born villain and a brainwashed minion is very important here. 

Aristophanes:
It can if you go and try to compare the theories.  I did this.  When I started college I read the Austrian economists alongside the textbooks from class.  You can see that the difference is that neoclassical economists don't really have a capital theory.  Ask them where credit comes from...Austrians can tell you where and explain the implications of it.  Neoclassicals cannot.  They start with the central bank as a given.

I really think that the Austrians emphasis on the time structure of capital is relevant and is a difficult feature to incorporate in a macroeconomic model, and in most of them it has been heavily simplified or neglected. But that doesn't mean neoclassical economists do not understand these aspects or cannot explain capital and credit, it means that the models they start from do not incorporate all elements from the start.

When it comes to model certain forms of capital there are good neoclassical work that captures these time features with statistics and quantitative techniques. For example, you have Garry Becker's theory of human capital and long term impact of skills and education.

As for the central bank, you have to start somewhere, and central banking is the reality of most people.

But in advanced courses in banking or in history of economics courses, the mainstream economists do get some exposition to free banking systems and the gold standard, and some even make their careers studying and defending these systems.

Aristophanes:
I was told that 85% of economics graduates get an internship at a FED bank (not sure if that is total or just my Univ. - it wouldn't surprise me either way).  So, the brainwashing is pretty deep.  having said that, I wouldn't trust SD (on somethings) anymore than I'd trust the average democratic voter.

Well, your university seems to have a streamlined academic link with some Fed unity, which is not the reality for all of them.

In any case, an internship at a Fed unity seems like an awesome opportunity to get first hand experience and learn a lot about monetary policy and the inner plumbing of banking if you don't fear the alleged brainwashing sessions, their subliminal statist mantras being played in the background and the fluoride in the water supply. In any case, you can perhaps order online a tinfoil hat covered with hair and find a way to smuggle it in, protecting yourself against their eletromagnetic mindbending fields. 

However it is kinda weird to think that bureaucrats are incompetent in all fields but are masters of brainwashing.

Thomas Sowell often says that the most relevant experience in changing his views from marxism to libertarian conservatism came not from lectures by Milton Friedman but during his time working for the Federal Government.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history" - Dwight Schrute
Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS