Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Against Autonomy: Justifying Coercive Paternalism

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero Posted: Mon, Mar 25 2013 7:07 PM

I read this op-ed today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/opinion/three-cheers-for-the-nanny-state.html

One word response: wow. I seldom read something so openly calling for restricting liberty. I have heard of asking government to do this or that, and people can think that is find because they don't see government as coercive, but to outright oppose autonomy is a breath of fresh air: thank you, dear statist, for being honest. My favorite statist thus far is this psychologist.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

The technocrat central planners are here, and they're ready to run our lives for our own betterment, whether we want them to, or not.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 8:51 PM

It’s because such a ban suggests that sometimes we need to be stopped from doing foolish stuff, and this has become, in contemporary American politics, highly controversial, no matter how trivial the particular issue.

If only we could stop these statists from doing the really foolish stuff. And I love the trivial comment. If it were so trivial, why did they go to all the trouble implementing it? Because either it's not trivial, or it's the first of further more serious encroachment.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 2,635
Hairnet replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 9:22 PM

Agression undermines the victims ability to reason and waists the time of the agressor. Every act of agression undermines human cooperation.  Paternalism just turns into stupid people being micromanaged by exhausted people (who also aren't producing anything). 

Regulators are subject to every criticism that the average American is. If I am capable of irrational decision making, so is someone in power. Expanding potentially irrational people's ability to control the lives of others is not a good ideas. 

I also love how a liberal is going to appeal to the irrationality of the populace in hopes that people will vote for proper leadership.. The way in which they express elitism and populism at the same time has always confounded me. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I seldom read something so openly calling for restricting liberty

Have you ever been to Manhatten?  It's the progressive-technocrat capital of the USA.  From my 6 mo. experience living there "People" (to use a generous term) talk like this all the time.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

The way in which they express elitism and populism at the same time has always confounded me.

It's all tones, flavors, and moods and how to manipulate them,

And in the case of all or most political situations, you're on their paradigm:  you can't out-argue, out-moralize, out-nihilize, out-sentimentalize, out-journalize, etc etc...this ought to be seen as self evident  You can insurrect, but that's about it

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 2,635
Hairnet replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 12:46 AM

I am not sure what you mean by insurrection, but I think I agree. People like that don't want to change their minds, and they don't care. However I think its important for those who can change their minds to know about alternatives to their control. 

All I can do is try to show people there is a better way by living that way, not by pleading with the enemy. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

All I can do is try to show people there is a better way by living that way, not by pleading with the enemy. 

that's roughly all I meant

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 9:40 AM

Her thesis is fatally flawed from the start, as it depends on value being objective.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 705
jdkdsgn replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 10:04 AM

Her argument is just a bunch of generalities; it's the same way that "psychics" draw people from the crowd based on carefully generalized statements. For being a philosophy professor at Bowdoin, I'd expect a more detailed analysis. Maybe that's what she's done in her book, but if that's the case, why publish such fallible material? 

Also, is it normal that there are no comments/no opportunity to comment on this article? I didn't see it.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS