Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Air Quality in Bejing

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 34
Points 455
Taelor Posted: Fri, Aug 8 2008 9:40 PM

So I was watching the news with some of my familly members, and it shows a segment on the air quality in Bejing. This of couse, leads to "The Government shoud really do something about this." My response: "Remind me again; all this polution is the result of free market industry, or governemnt-sponsered super industry. I can't remember." My snark knows no bounds.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

You can't take the sky from me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 9,180

Taelor:
Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Spot on. It won't be long before we in the west are told that we can't drive our cars whenever we want. In countries like Brazil, if your license plate ends with the number "1" for example, it's illegal to drive your car on Mondays. No "2s" allowed on Tuesdays, and so on.

Another thing that came to mind when I read your post was the congestion charge that is gaining popularity in the world. In London if you want to drive into the Centre you have to pay an 8 pound tax. I have to congratulate the government for pinning the blame on us. Apparently the problem is "there are too many cars on the road", not "the government monopoly on roads has given us a crappy product".

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495

MatthewWilliam:
Another thing that came to mind when I read your post was the congestion charge that is gaining popularity in the world. In London if you want to drive into the Centre you have to pay an 8 pound tax. I have to congratulate the government for pinning the blame on us. Apparently the problem is "there are too many cars on the road", not "the government monopoly on roads has given us a crappy product".

It is exactly the same as paying a toll to cross a bridge.

I do agree that the government should do something about air pollution. As the self-proclaimed exclusive provider of security, it has a duty to protect the property of citizens from aggressors.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS