Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How to commit online transaction when youre <18 years of age?

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760
Kelvin Silva Posted: Fri, Mar 29 2013 4:16 PM

I want to buy a medieval bone handled dagger online which costs around 50 dollars (legit carbon steel battle ready), and i only have paper munays. What are some ways that I can manipulate the paper moneys so i can perform online transactions?

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3267&name=Medieval+Bone+Handled+Dagger

Paypal --> they check for age don't they?

Parents --> Will never let me buy a dagger...

Prepaid visa gift card --> Would an online store accept these? There is no name or address attached to one, so i dont know how they will ever accept this sort of prepaid gift card....

The online store does not accept bitcoin.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 4:35 PM

I'm glad we filed this under "Economics Questions".

As to how to do it - I'm not sure. I would just say that if you're parents are against it you should consider that they might be right :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Well, what always has been bothering me though is that I can be under 18 years of age and perform physical monetary transactions without any problem (buying a drink at the store or whatever).

In the year of 2013, the same easiness should also be applied to online transactions don't you think?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 5:11 PM

Find an accomplice, wait a few years, or change the laws. The online stores are just avoiding possible aggression from the state if one of their customers injures themselves.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 5:20 PM

Sure thing bro...

You can make it happen.  I got a few ideas, but can't really type it all out right now.  I'll be back later.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 2,945

If your parents don't let you buy a dagger, don't buy a freaking dagger you dumb shit.   

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

If your parents don't let you buy a dagger, don't buy a freaking dagger you dumb shit. 

how very unlibertarian are you! what happened to free will?

Anyways, im using money i stored up over time.... Not like im stealing anything.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 6:36 PM

Is there any reason you can't get a Visa Electron debit card?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Convince your parents. I don't think paypal cofirms age though. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

Thinking of joining an anti-commie gang, eh? Hehe

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Nagging and whining and throwing tantrums helps in some families.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Prepaid visa gift card --> Would an online store accept these? There is no name or address attached to one, so i dont know how they will ever accept this sort of prepaid gift card....

Yes.

They act just like credit cards.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 3:13 PM

making this thread was a great p.r. move.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 4:26 PM

For Visa?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 4:51 PM

for austrian anarchists because of all the help arming a minor (contrary to the wishes of his parents) potentially in violation of statute etc,

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 5:14 PM

see, the problem is you have raised your profile so I couldnt even give you advice now if I wanted to. you kids.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Personal message?

Never knew owning a dagger would be so dangerous. Its just a dagger. People on tv talk about guns all the time.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 7:36 PM

people on tv are designed to be poor role models

Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 9:48 PM

Okay, back...

So first of all, no, you actually can create a Paypal account with fake info.  The only issue then is, how do you get money in it?  If you're not worried about a trail, you can simply pay someone to send you the money.  Transactions between Paypal accounts are free (so long as they are US Paypal accounts, and the source is Paypal funds, or a bank account).

So at the easiest, you just create a US Paypal account, find someone else with a US Paypal account that either has a bank account tied to it, or has funds in their paypal balance, and give them cash to send you what you need via Paypal.  Then you can buy pretty much anything you want online.

Another option as a few guys have said is prepaid cards.  There's quite a few options here, but only a small few apply to you.  Some prepaid cards require you to register a pre-existing bank account with the card (meaning, you need to actually have a bank account, and tie it to the card...confirming your identity.)  If you have a bank account, and you're not worried about anonymity, this is certainly an option.  Generally these are the cards that are reloadable, so you can keep adding money to the card, and essentially have a working debit card that works everywhere the credit card would.

However, I assume if you had a bank account, you'd have an actual debit card that you could be using, meaning you wouldn be posting this thread.

So you'll just go with the one-time prepaid cards.  They sell these along with the reloadable ones pretty much everywhere...Walmart, Walgreens, even grocery stores.  They're right there with all the gift cards to restaurants and stores and stuff.  But of course these are "gift cards" that work anywhere, like a credit card.  You find one with a value close to what you need, and you can pay cash for it...Generally round amounts like $25, $50, etc.  Most cards have a set amount that the card is worth at the time of purchase, and cost $3.95 to as high as $7 or so (plus the amount you want to load on the card, of course)...but I know of at least one American Express gift card that you can load with any amount from $25-$500 at the time of purchase.  The cost of the card is $5.95.

That actually seems like your best bet.

JUST BE SURE TO READ THE FINE PRINT on the card before you you try to buy it, so you can make sure it's not one that requires a bank account or any sort of ID confirmation.

Now just don't go do something stupid like have it shipped to your house at a time when your parents will find it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:56 AM

for austrian anarchists because of all the help arming a minor (contrary to the wishes of his parents) potentially in violation of statute etc,

It's a ceremonial short sword with an unsharpened edge. — A toy for D&D nerds.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

you can always sharpen it....

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:26 AM

And then what? You're going to carry a 1/2 meter long sword into a discotheque?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I finally bought the dagger!

Just need to wait for the shipment.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:24 PM

Use bitcoin with Bitspend?

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS