Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Asking about Nazi Germany Economy

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
73 Posts
Points 2,395
LandJ posted on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:23 PM

Many critics admire the economic policies of Nazi Germany. They claim that Germans were prosperous during this period.

What was the system back then? Corporatism?
Subsidies? Licensing?
High tariffs?
High taxation?

a. Can you inform me about the economy of Nazi Germany, please?

b. Assuming that indeed Germans were prosperous then, why would you oppose it?

c. Could the same policies apply today in the era of globalization? Why or why not?

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

It's also worth noting that increases in producing aren't necessarily natural or desirable.  I think that in a free society production would probably remain more or less flat.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 2:30 PM

Oh lord

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355

dude production means producing things that people want. satisfaction of wants is necessarily good, otherwise youre speaking gibberish. this is apodictically true.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Not Ranked
Male
73 Posts
Points 2,395
LandJ replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 3:28 PM

To whom Nazi government were indebted? 

Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

dude production means producing things that people want. satisfaction of wants is necessarily good, otherwise youre speaking gibberish. this is apodictically true.

No. It's definitionally true, if you happen accept your definition of the word 'production'. I'm guessing maybe No2statism has a slightly wider definition that includes production of tanks and atom bombs, and if so, I'd tend to agree with him that not all production is good.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 10:10 PM

"no"? do you know what apodictically true means? production of tanks and atom bombs is good for some people.

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

To clarify, I meant that increases in production increases under the leviathan State usually aren't good (due to the govt producing) and consumption isn't necessarily bad as long as it's not encouraged by the govt.

Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

"no"? do you know what apodictically true means? production of tanks and atom bombs is good for some people.

Yes, I do. Don't be so bloody patronising.

Firstly, 'good for some people' does not equate to 'desireable', which was his claim. Secondly, he does not state who it is undesireable for. Thirdly, "production means producing things that people want". No, production means producing things, full stop.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,493 Posts
Points 39,355

Yes, I do. Don't be so bloody patronising.

its patronising to suggest that I was wrong because I didnt use your preferred synonym. its not patronizing to call you out on your behavior.

Firstly, 'good for some people' does not equate to 'desireable', which was his claim.

desires are held by people. so it pretty much does. who is doing the desiring here?

Secondly, he does not state who it is undesireable for.

and this is addressed to me instead of him why?

Thirdly, "production means producing things that people want". No, production means producing things, full stop.

then all behavior is necessarily equally productive.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS