Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How does one become a libertarian political speaker?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename Posted: Sun, Apr 7 2013 3:45 PM

What sorts of credentials are needed and how and where, does one "set up shop" so to speak?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

You join a think tank. David Boaz has a BA from Vanderbilt University. No PhD to my knowledge needed, but it's rare to see someone in a think tank these days without at least some graduate training. 

Alternatively you join the Libertarian party or the liberty wings of either the Dems or Reps and work your way up the ranks. No education required for this approach. 

There is always the academic approach; e.g. Thomas Woods. You better have a PhD though if you expect to be taken seriously. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:52 AM

Maybe start with local organizing. Go to some Democratic or Republican meetings, drop some ideas in a respectable way.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:45 PM

Aim the camera at your face. Upload to Youtube. Done.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Wheylous:
Maybe start with local organizing. Go to some Democratic or Republican meetings, drop some ideas in a respectable way.

Did you mean this to be tongue-in-cheek?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Aim the camera at your face. Upload to Youtube. Done.

Catch: You can't pay yourself.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 32
Points 385
Monroe replied on Wed, May 1 2013 12:15 PM

Sure, YouTube channels are a good way to establish consistency in your message. Maybe work on a book/blog or really any publication to practice articulating thoughts to an audience. In terms of credentials, yes a degree or degrees would help, but I venture to say even if you were a student, you could join community clubs or start your own movement with backing by some other contacts with degrees and experience in both speaking and libertarianism. Campuses are great places to start as well as civic centers or even historical museum halls...

"...if there is one thing that stings people just enough to commit violence, it is the feeling of powerlessness." - Monroe "yes, I just quoted myself..." - Monroe
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

What Monroe said. Put your ideas out there. Try to get websites that enjoy relatively heavy traffic to publish your stuff. Start a blog. Use YouTube. Academic credentials obviously help, but you don't need them. I've been "hired" to do talks on economics by several organizations (one of them thought I had a masters degree, and I had to correct them), and I barely have a bachelors. I just put my stuff out there through my blog and, at one point, Mises.org.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Wed, May 1 2013 3:26 PM

one's speech

no credentials, one just needs a audiance

so your speech plus and audiance willing to pay.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS