Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Just a heads up - in case anyone missed my April 1st joke

rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:56 AM

This thread (http://mises.org/community/forums/p/33190/516528.aspx) was a joke thread for the record. I know most people got that (well, everyone who posted there got it), but I wanted to make sure that casual lurkers also got it. I used HTML to make it appear that Jeff Tucker posted in the thread and linked to MY FORUMS (Yes, the idea was a play on the shameless self-promotion thing). And yes, I did not bother making all the details look like him (post count, posting time, link to profile, etc).

I am not sure that Primetime will ever decide that I was not trying to defraud you guys - I guess I would do it differently if I were to do it again (more obvious, I guess).

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

I guess I would do it differently if I were to do it again

Meh, I've done worse.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

^#^!&#^!&~!!!!!!, I fell for it and created an account on LHQ because of this

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:51 AM

You did nothing wrong, you were just grossly misinterpreted by someone without a very apt sense of humor

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:48 AM

seriously??

Do you ever get tired of promoting yourself?  Go back to your own forum if it's so great.  Leave the rest of us alone and stop spamming this forum.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:55 AM

Ever noticed how it's humorless people who are the funniest?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Marko:
Ever noticed how it's humorless people who are the funniest?

I don't know, I'd say it's a decent point.  That entire thread was literally about how the OP was fake.  There is no possible way anyone who read past the second post would think it was genuine, "casual lurker" or not.  And even if they weren't convinced by the calling out, Wheylous came in and admitted it in that very thread.  (Which by the way, how exactly would a brand new thread help a casual lurker who happened to stumble across the alleged joke thread identify it as a farce?  Would it not make more sense to simply make a new post in the actual thread declaring it a joke?)

Not to mention, that thread was already buried on the second or third page by the time this one was created.

So I'd be interested in hearing what Wheylous was really trying to accomplish by creating this thread.  There's obviously little to no chance anyone was actually at any risk of being duped by the original thread...so I'd tend to agree the goal of this thread was nothing more than to promote the other one (and perhaps by proxy, LibertyHQ forums.)

Whatever the case is, I honestly doubt the stated purpose of this thread is the actual intended purpose.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Primetime:

seriously??

Do you ever get tired of promoting yourself?  Go back to your own forum if it's so great.  Leave the rest of us alone and stop spamming this forum.

In all fairness, we were told that the Mises.org forum would be shutdown; so, WheyWhey promoted his forum as an alternative.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:21 AM

Is it actually going to be? It's been months. Perhaps it was just a litmus test to see who the true believers were. Wheylous' site is actually a honeypot.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:27 AM

DanielMuff:
In all fairness, we were told that the Mises.org forum would be shutdown; so, WheyWhey promoted his forum as an alternative.

yeah like a craplong time ago.  do you seriously believe that other thread was just a joke in good fun, with absolutely no intention of promoting his own forum?

John James:
There's obviously little to no chance anyone was actually at any risk of being duped by the original thread...so I'd tend to agree the goal of this thread was nothing more than to promote the other one (and perhaps by proxy, LibertyHQ forums.)

at least someone gets it.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Jargon:

Is it actually going to be? It's been months.

*** shruggs shoulders ***

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:01 AM

Oh wow, I just went back and see the tell-tale footer of Wheylous' actual message, below Tucker's supposed one. Until now I thought that Tucker had really posted and was just going along with the joke. None of it was surprising since I had a read a thread months before that these were closing, and that a couple of new ones were being created (and with non-broken quoting), his among them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:07 AM

Quoting is pretty simple though. Just change quote=false to quote=true.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:22 AM

a casual lurkers perspective: Primetime has done the best job of promoting wheylous' blog.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:40 AM

HEY WHELOUS, 

I KNOW PPL ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT YOU PROMOTING YOUR SITE, AND IMMA LET THEM FINISH, BUT I ALREADY POSTED ONE OF THE GREATEST SELF-PROMOTION THREADS OF ALL TIME:

http://mises.org/community/forums/t/25519.aspx

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:49 AM

^

First version of your post was better.

Edit

Still funny tho

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:51 AM

Then I'm changing it back!!!!

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:13 PM

It's possible, but you could still accept shamelessnes in good humor. It is a ridicilous and therefore a funnny situation. A completely shameless self-promoter on a totally shambolic and abandoned forum that has been broken for years, has been announced will be closed, and that reportedly no longer accepts new accounts. It's a fairly looney environment. But then in the midst of all this surrealism there is one guy who is perfectly straight and serious and righteously upset about Wheylous' spams. I don't know, it was funny to me.

Not Ranked
Posts 369
Points 7,175
baxter replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:31 PM

Nothing's wrong with mises.org forums.

I'm sick of the false rumors!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:51 PM

Which by the way, how exactly would a brand new thread help a casual lurker who happened to stumble across the alleged joke thread identify it as a farce?  Would it not make more sense to simply make a new post in the actual thread declaring it a joke?

Yeah, I thought about that as I posted, but I decided to go through with it anyway (seems it helped vive, at least). I decided to make the thread because Autolykos wrote to me recently chiding me for my previous post, but then wrote again saying he had been confused and took back his words. I decided to not link to LibertyHQ this time so it would be more apparent that it's NOT self-promotion (that is, self-promotion is not the intention. It's inevitably a by-product, since the name and link were there in the original).

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:11 PM

depending on the qualitative nature of the post, self-demotion could instead result.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:59 PM

Ah, but if any press is good press, then self-demotion and self-promotion are one and the same. Your mind tricks won't work on me, Malachi.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:21 PM

"Yeah, I thought about that as I posted, but I decided to go through with it anyway (seems it helped vive, at least). I decided to make the thread because Autolykos wrote to me recently chiding me for my previous post, but then wrote again saying he had been confused and took back his words. I decided to not link to LibertyHQ this time so it would be more apparent that it's NOT self-promotion (that is, self-promotion is not the intention. It's inevitably a by-product, since the name and link were there in the original)."

Wheylous,

With all due respect grow some balls and don't go apologizing left and right just because some people didn't appreciate your joke. Hellfire, even if it was "shameless self-promotion" it was classy shameless self-promotion, you don't need to apologize or explain yourself to anyone.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:32 PM

Wheylous, as your superior commanding officer in the austrian army, I demand that you ignore Neodoxy and continue to grovel before us. I demand that you explain yourself oncemore.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:35 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:02 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:06 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:13 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:23 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:25 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:32 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:38 PM

Wow, her hair is awful in that picture.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:39 PM

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:42 PM

Also, Michelle Obama always looks awful

Page 1 of 1 (34 items) | RSS