Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Wargame enthusiasts / Bitcoin Sanctuary Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Thu, Apr 11 2013 11:44 AM

This is a thread for anyone who cares nothing about bitcoin.

Anyone here who likes turn based wargames:

wargear.net

it's a lot of maps that use a Risk model its games, I've been hooked on it for a year - if any of you want to join, it's free, let me know if you do I need new opponents.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 11:47 AM

I haven't played Wargames for a while but I'm presently addicted to Mass Effect. After completeing the trilogy as a MaleShep and I'm replaying it through as a renegade FemShep - I'm presently a reasonable way through Mass Effect 1.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 12:32 PM

What about EUIII?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 1:02 PM

Did anyone ever play Diplomacy? That was a really fun game.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

I played Diplomacy a while back. My family were once on holiday and brother had forgotten to bring it so he just drew the map from memory so we could play it.

What I liked best about it was the secret diplomacy and the simultaneous movement.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 1:51 PM

fuk bitcion

I never got into wargames. My father was big into them back in the day, but I've never really played anything more complicated than Risk.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I've always really wanted to play Diplomacy, but you need exactly 7 people - the best my friends and I could ever get was 5 people who would ever find anything like that remotely interesting.  Plus I hear anyone who gets Italy is almost certain to lose.

about Mass Effect:

It's supposedly a really fun game (though I heard the 3rd one was aweful) - and has the same type of system as KOTOR (which I love) - but I have for the life of me not been able to get into the game.  I'm not much into video games though.

There is also a free online Axis and Allies community - that's probably my standad set of games (AA50 is my fav) - but I haven't tried the online version yet.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

WC3: TFT FTW

Not Ranked
Posts 101
Points 1,680

I joined my name is gravyten577. Don't know how to play though

"Inflation has been used to pay for all wars and empires as far back as ancient Rome… Inflationism and corporatism… prompt scapegoating: blaming foreigners, illegal immigrants, ethnic minorities, and too often freedom itself" End the Fed P.134Ron Paul
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I just invited you to a 1 v 1 private game, join it and I'll show you how the system works.  The map we are playing is identical to Risk

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

What about EUIII?

what is EUIII?

@ Anyone:

if anyone is down for some Diplomacy and there is a free online version, count me in.  I could probably scrounge up a person or two to play if needed.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975
Would anyone be interested in playing a forum-based nation simulator? Your make your own nation, conduct diplomacy, go to war as you see fit, etc. I'm part of a nationsim group and we're about to set up a round. I'll throw up a link here once we got the set up done.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Points 2,745

I played Risk a few times years ago, liked it, though I didn't find it challenging enough. Just signed up to WarGear. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
MarcosP replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:00 PM

I really enjoyed Europa Universalis III . (EUIII) Its a turn based game kind of like Civilization but a tad bit more in depth and focused on a specific time period. I haven't played in a while but it is a great game. I recently got a mac version of it. 

Has anybody else played it?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975
z13.invisionfree.com/HeadofState/index.php?act=idx There is the link. Pardon the dust; rules, maps, and other things are being added right now.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000
HabbaBabba replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:47 PM

I played this one, years ago, it had wizards and orcs and giant spiders and shit, but it was pretty detailed in how it worked. You controlled one territory and worked toward global dominance. Even had things where you stir up rebellion and espionage, called Birthright.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I played Risk a few times years ago, liked it, though I didn't find it challenging enough. Just signed up to WarGear. :)

i just invited you to a game (my name is dondoolee2)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 12:57 PM

I really enjoyed Europa Universalis III . (EUIII) Its a turn based game kind of like Civilization but a tad bit more in depth and focused on a specific time period. I haven't played in a while but it is a great game. I recently got a mac version of it.

You mean it's real-time.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
MarcosP replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 8:44 PM

Marko:

You mean it's real-time.

Yes. Real time. Not turn-based. My mistake. I paused it a lot when I would play it on single player, heh.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:26 AM

Europa Universalis III

I thought this was a computergames thread.

It's a really good grand-strategy game. I think it's making me statist.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 9:02 AM

Speaking of which, you can build public schools in Civ 5, and I was like, why can't I build private schools? And then I was like...because I'm a central planner!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 210
MarcosP replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 10:53 PM

Lol, yes. Many of these games make you statist. Especially because I usually end up starting wars and dominating the world. Its just so much fun! No wonder the powers that be always strive to retain power up to their death beds...

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS