Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Martial arts and self-defense, combatives, non-combatives, self-preservation thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi Posted: Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:43 AM

who here is into practice of martial arts or sports? I know Clayton is a judoka. Kelvin is into western martial arts, I think. who else?

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:46 AM

I'm into the whole "you have to train your mind before you can train your body" thing. So I'm all like

I was a yellow belt in Karate when I was a kid though. So you better not f*** with me.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:51 AM

can you please articulate where the two divide?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:05 PM

Neodoxy must first study the theory of human action before he can practice it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Sports: Swimming (and life gaurd), baseball, and to a lesser extent basketball

Martial Arts: Nothing formal, I have had some training from a Marine friend due to the nature of my old job in which "bouncing" was an important aspect of it.

Because of my new line of wor,k when I have the time and money I do very serious strength and endurence training in my legs, back, and abs - and no I'm not ripped

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:57 PM

did he train you in mcmap? some of that stuff is applicable to bouncing.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

It was very informal - I have no idea about most technical wording used, or the geneology of applications. I would imagine so, but he was an old salty dog experinced in the bar industry - so I have no clue where he was comming from exactly I was 20 yr old brat he was 45 yr old Biker and vet.

In truth though: while Iam glad he helped, and it was beneficial, most of the "boncing" instincts for me came with practice.  The best part of the "training" for me was learrning how to think in motion, dealing with physicality, and keeping a certain composure - all very useful but inthe end, as with any trade, a lot of it you just have to learn with experience. 

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 1:08 PM

well then it wasnt mcmap, it was line or just old school ass whuppin. mcmap is newer.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I competitively walk against other pedestrians.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 1:16 PM

what is your time for 20k?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

I did Aikido up to green belt and play soccer.  Aikido was more a form of fitness training for me than anything.  My real defense is being a high level sprinter.  Unless I was boxed into some small space like an elevator I wouldn't need any other means of protection.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

I boxed in Golden Glove (not nationals) for several years as a kid, played football and basketball through high school, helped teach self-defense while in college and now I just run regularly and practice boxing and jeet kune do informally.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

Malachi:

who here is into practice of martial arts or sports? I know Clayton is a judoka. Kelvin is into western martial arts, I think. who else?

20 + years of Ji Do Kwan [Tae Kwon Do,] 9 + years Tai Chi, plus I've studied the philosophy of Aikido for around 10 years. Also, philosophically speaking, what Bruce Lee called "the art of fighting by not fighting" .    As a child I studied western style boxing.

regards obf.

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 2:05 PM

I did Wing Chun for a bit. I did Tai Chi for a few months before I got bored and left. I'm considering Yoga next even though it's not a martial art.

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 990

10 lessons in Jeet Kune Do.

Had to stop because it was getting too expensive at over $300 a month.

Would love to get back into it soon but will be climbing a mountain this summer and barely have enough time to train for it ERGO I'm a boss.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS