Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

ahem...Smiling Dave featured on EPJ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 7:26 PM

Congrats. I believe it's the most well-read libertarian blog with a single author (and probably 2nd overall, only after the LRC blog).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Marko:
I believe it's the most well-read libertarian blog with a single author (and probably 2nd overall, only after the LRC blog).

Depends on what you consider "blog", and how much leeway you're willing to give with "single author".  I'd say at least a good 15-20% of EPJ content is openly attributed to someone else.  (The OP being a perfect example.)

http://toplibertarian.com/websites/compete_ranking/

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 8:09 PM

Cool

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 990

And, that insult Peter Surda threw at Smiling Dave seems even less clever now.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 8:42 PM

read it in context. bob wenzel is an old boring nobody.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 990

Damn. -1 for me.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Hey.  Would an old boring nobody given an epic speech at the Federal Reserve?

I rest my case.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 8:55 PM

Ah, the old one-two.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Finish him.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

congrats

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 9:53 AM

Nice Job SD!

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

I planned on continuing my self imposed silence [lest I crow at people losing 60% of their money in the latest bitcoin fiasco], but it would be ungracious not to acknowledge the kind congratulations from all of you.

Thank you very much.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 269
Points 4,195

Vanitas Nomen:

And, that insult Peter Surda threw at Smiling Dave seems even less clever now.

I don't  know what sort of weird authority fallacy this is, but just FYI, I've not only been quoted/republished on blogs, but have been quoted in magazines, radio, there are interviews with me on youtube, I lecture about Bitcoin, am being invited into conferences and I've been filmed for the Bitcoin Documentary. And I do this in three languages I might add.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Surda,

So what? Do you really not understand why he thinks your comment is less clever now? I can't see the relevance your "accomplishments" have to the point he was making.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Peter Šurda:
I don't  know what sort of weird authority fallacy this is, but just FYI, I've not only been quoted/republished on blogs, but have been quoted in magazines, radio, there are interviews with me on youtube, I lecture about Bitcoin, am being invited into conferences and I've been filmed for the Bitcoin Documentary.

In addition to your comment being less clever (which, I admittedly did laugh out loud when I originally read it), I'm sorry to say, this list isn't exactly that impressive either...

And I do this in three languages I might add.

I'll grant you this is pretty cool.

Not Ranked
Posts 62
Points 990

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 6:17 PM

"I don't  know what sort of weird authority fallacy this is, but just FYI, I've not only been quoted/republished on blogs, but have been quoted in magazines, radio, there are interviews with me on youtube, I lecture about Bitcoin, am being invited into conferences and I've been filmed for the Bitcoin Documentary. And I do this in three languages I might add."

You look like a whiny bitch trying to fool people into falling for an authority fallacy by talking like that when it has nothing to do with the subject...

Your comment looks less clever because someone from a well-respected website apparently reads Dave's blog.

Also, I'm not exactly Dave's #1 fan and I laughed at your post.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 6:26 PM

Neodoxy:

Also, I'm not exactly Dave's #1 fan and I laughed at your post.

I couldn't tell.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 6:37 PM

I know Gotlucky, it might seem like Dave and I are just two peas in a pod enjoying jokes over some cold beers, but over the years rifts just emerged between us. An economic disagreement here and there just turned into some bad blood between us. It's a shame really.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 269
Points 4,195

I don't understand the comments.

Smiling Dave essentially had said that its's entirely irrelevant how many people actually use Bitcoin as long as he arbitrarily decides that it's not enough, and that his own judgement preempts all the empirical data as well as anecdotal evidence. He did this several times, when I provided data about velocity of Bitcoin, about its usage in online gambling and so on.

So I made an equally absurd analogy, that no matter who reads Smiling Dave's blog, as long as I arbitrarily decide that's not enough, he is fraud and must collapse. My argument wasn't that empirically, noone reads Smiling Dave's blog, but the absurdity of elevating arbitrary judgement into an argument..

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 6:54 PM

Fair enough. I don't think people understood that. Your comment is more widely known from Malachi's signature.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Peter Šurda:

Smiling Dave essentially had said that its's entirely irrelevant how many people actually use Bitcoin as long as he arbitrarily decides that it's not enough, and that his own judgement preempts all the empirical data as well as anecdotal evidence. He did this several times, when I provided data about velocity of Bitcoin, about its usage in online gambling and so on.

So I made an equally absurd analogy, that no matter who reads Smiling Dave's blog, as long as I arbitrarily decide that's not enough, he is fraud and must collapse. My argument wasn't that empirically, noone reads Smiling Dave's blog, but the absurdity of elevating arbitrary judgement into an argument..

...However, I still stand by my point that all those accolades you listed have been easily replicated by people with literally no expertise whatsoever.  (Seriously, just read some of the things Holiday was able to do.)  So while they may sound good on a bio page, they're not altogether that impressive.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 7:03 PM

Smiling Dave:

1. Nobody is actually buying anything with bitcoins.

Peter Surda:

Nobody is actually reading your blog. The five people are irrelevant (I arbitrarily decided a threshold). According to your own logic, you are a fraud and must collapse.

Source.

Perhaps there is a different insult people are referring to.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 7:19 PM

it only became an insult because of my cyber bullying, abridging ways. next sig is coming asap.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 7:27 PM

New sig SUUUUCCKKS

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 7:27 PM

^

What he said. I want more cyber bullying.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 8:25 PM

and whats my incentive for listening to you two idiots? you probably didnt even get the reference because the closest you pukes ever got to serving your country was sitting down to watch <i>Apocalypse Now</i> and you couldnt finish it! thats desertion, and I should have you flensed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 8:26 PM

/approve

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 8:37 PM

besides, what am I supposed to sign my posts with? "Malachi the Martian"?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:13 AM

Something that doesn't suck is usually considered appropriate.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:47 AM

you think heart of darkness sucks?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 269
Points 4,195

John James:

...However, I still stand by my point that all those accolades you listed have been easily replicated by people with literally no expertise whatsoever.  (Seriously, just read some of the things Holiday was able to do.)  So while they may sound good on a bio page, they're not altogether that impressive.

You're right John, I didn't originally understand what the actual issue was, I guess yesterday was one of my stupid days. It dawned on me today. Also, the pictures you provide are really worth more than a thousand words.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 10:06 AM

"you think heart of darkness sucks?"

No, just your signatuer. Have you read heart of darkness, by the way?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:12 PM

not in about 15 million years

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:13 PM

Go read a leather bound book, old man.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:15 PM

you know what, I think I will. 

ps- uncle joe had foreknowledge.

Page 1 of 1 (38 items) | RSS